Ordered set which is not linear

• I
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear Set
In summary, a linear ordering is a total ordering where all elements can be compared, while a non-linear ordering may have elements that cannot be compared to each other due to the transitive property not holding.
Silviu
Hello! I was introduced in the Real Analysis class the notion of ordered set. I am not sure I understand the concept of linear and non-linear ordering. Can someone explain this to me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
Hello! I was introduced in the Real Analysis class the notion of ordered set. I am not sure I understand the concept of linear and non-linear ordering. Can someone explain this to me? Thank you!
As I see it, is linear ordering a rarely and in my view misleading term for the common total ordering, which means, it is an order (reflexive, transitive, anti-symmetric) and any of two elements ##x,y## can be compared by either ##x \prec y## or ##y \prec x##, e.g. the usual order of real numbers. It is not the case with the order by inclusion of subsets of a set. Here we can have ##x \nprec y## and ##y \nprec x##.

Sure, I'd be happy to explain it to you! In an ordered set, also known as a partially ordered set, there is a relation between the elements that determines their order. This relation can be linear or non-linear.

In a linear ordering, every pair of elements in the set can be compared to each other. This means that for any two elements, one is always greater than or equal to the other. Think of it like a number line, where every number has a clear position and can be compared to any other number. Examples of linearly ordered sets include the set of real numbers and the set of integers.

On the other hand, in a non-linear ordering, there may be elements that cannot be compared to each other. This can happen when the relation between elements is not transitive, meaning that if A is greater than B and B is greater than C, it does not necessarily mean that A is greater than C. An example of a non-linearly ordered set is the set of all shapes, where a triangle cannot be compared to a square in terms of "greater than" or "less than."

I hope this helps clarify the concept of linear and non-linear ordering in an ordered set. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Related to Ordered set which is not linear

1. What is an ordered set which is not linear?

An ordered set which is not linear refers to a set of elements that is arranged in a specific order, but the order is not based on a numerical or alphabetical sequence. This means that the elements in the set are not arranged from smallest to largest or A to Z, but rather in a different predetermined order.

2. How is an ordered set which is not linear different from a linear set?

An ordered set which is not linear differs from a linear set in that the elements in a linear set are arranged in a specific, sequential order, such as from smallest to largest. In contrast, the elements in a non-linear set can be arranged in any predetermined order.

3. Can an ordered set which is not linear be infinite?

Yes, an ordered set which is not linear can be infinite. The order of the elements in the set does not affect the size or number of elements in the set, so it can be infinitely large or small.

4. What are some examples of ordered sets which are not linear?

Some examples of ordered sets which are not linear include color spectrums, musical notes on a scale, and the order of letters in the alphabet according to sign language. These sets have a specific order, but the order is not based on numerical or alphabetical sequences.

5. How are ordered sets which are not linear used in science?

In science, ordered sets which are not linear are often used to represent and study complex systems. They can help scientists understand the relationships between different elements in a system and how they are arranged. For example, in biology, the arrangement of elements in a food chain can be represented as an ordered set which is not linear.