Origami Gripper - Does anyone know the pattern?

• Misc.
  • Thread starter some bloke
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves someone expressing interest in creating a soft robot origami gripper similar to one developed by MIT CSAIL. They are struggling to find the folding pattern needed for the internal structure and are seeking help from others who may know origami. The conversation ends with a suggestion to check out origami forums and a link to free origami software.
some bloke
TL;DR Summary
I want to experiment using the origami pattern in a new "tulip gripper", but I can't work out how to fold it!
Hi everyone,

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/14/18259883/soft-robot-origami-gripper-mit-csail-daniela-rus
I was reading about this and I would like to see if I can make one for myself, but I'm struggling to get my head around the folding pattern needed for the internal structure. Does anyone here know Origami, and can anyone point me in the direction of the pattern I should be looking for? it looks deceptively simple, but damned if I can get my head around it!

Cheers!

Attachments

• origami gripper.jpg
    origami gripper.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 312
Physics news on Phys.org
I just checked with Google. There are several origami forums where you might get better answers.

Likes jim mcnamara
Likes anorlunda

Related to Origami Gripper - Does anyone know the pattern?

1. What is an Origami Gripper?

The Origami Gripper is a type of robotic gripper that uses the principles of origami to create a lightweight and versatile gripping mechanism.

2. How does the Origami Gripper work?

The Origami Gripper works by using a series of folds and hinges to create a structure that can grip and hold objects. It is inspired by the traditional Japanese art of paper folding, but uses more durable materials such as plastic or metal.

3. What is the pattern for the Origami Gripper?

The pattern for the Origami Gripper can vary depending on the specific design and purpose of the gripper. However, most patterns will involve a series of folds and hinges that create a flexible and strong structure for gripping objects.

4. Can anyone make an Origami Gripper?

While some basic knowledge of origami and engineering principles may be helpful, anyone with the right materials and instructions can make an Origami Gripper. There are also pre-made kits and tutorials available for those who are new to the concept.

5. What are the potential applications of the Origami Gripper?

The Origami Gripper has a wide range of potential applications, including in industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, and space exploration. It can be used for tasks such as picking up and moving objects, gripping delicate items, or even performing surgical procedures.