Paper Pointing To Danger At LHC?

• Thread starter tayman2037
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lhc Paper
In summary, the conversation discusses concerns about the potential risks of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and a paper that suggests there may be a bit of a risk with its operation. However, the conversation also mentions that the Earth is constantly bombarded with particles of higher energies and has not been destroyed, indicating that the LHC may not pose a significant danger. The overall sentiment is that moving forward with scientific progress is necessary, even if there are potential risks involved.
tayman2037
Sorry to bug you all, but I have a question to ask. I have a bit of a worrying problem, so when I first heard about the LHC, some of the fear mongering got to me. However, after some research, my worrying nearly ceased. However, I ran into this paper today, and it says there may be a bit of a risk with the LHC. I don't have the knowledge to assess the paper, could someone please explain it to me and tell me if there's any reason to worry? Again, sorry for disturbing a forum full of very intelligent people with my (perhaps trivial) worries.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0808.1415v1

Physics news on Phys.org
The Earth is bombarded with particles of far higher energies than the LHC can produce, and this has been going on for the existence of the Earth - which still seems a pretty habitable place (in most locations). The production and capture of quantum black holes by this method (uncontrolled as it is) has not yet destroyed the planet. I think you can sleep well...

i think it's a glorious way for this little planet Earth to end.

we either move forward and risk death or stagnate.

there is only one option as far as i am concerned...

Related to Paper Pointing To Danger At LHC?

1. What is "Paper Pointing To Danger At LHC?"

"Paper Pointing To Danger At LHC" refers to a scientific paper that was published in 2008 by physicist Otto Rossler, which raised concerns about the potential dangers of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN.

2. What were the specific concerns mentioned in the paper?

The paper raised concerns about the possibility of creating microscopic black holes or strangelets at the LHC, which could have catastrophic consequences if they were to escape and grow uncontrollably.

3. Has there been any evidence of these concerns coming true?

No, there has been no evidence to support the concerns raised in the paper. The LHC has been operating since 2008 and has not produced any dangerous black holes or strangelets.

4. How have scientists responded to the paper's claims?

The scientific community has largely dismissed the claims made in the paper, citing the extensive safety measures and risk assessments that were conducted before the LHC was built and operated.

5. What is the current consensus on the safety of the LHC?

The overwhelming majority of scientists agree that the LHC is safe and poses no threat to the public or the environment. Multiple studies have been conducted to assess the safety of the LHC, and all have concluded that it poses no significant risk.