Papermaking - pulp from plants

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plants
In summary: It seems like it might be doing something to it, but I'm not sure what.In summary, according to Wikipedia, lignin is present in high concentrations in most papers, and chemical treatments (e.g. boiling in soda ash) are necessary to turn raw plant material into pulp. However, this doesn't mean that chemical delignification is always necessary for bleaching or brightening the paper. Some plants, like Hemp, don't need any chemicals to make paper, and the resulting pulp doesn't yellow.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In handmade papermaking, are the chemical treatments ( e.g. boiling in soda ash, soaking bamboo in lime juice) necessarily for turning raw plant material into pulp? Or is the creation of the pulp just a mechanical process of breaking up the material with a "hollander beater" or some other machine?

For example, the current Wikipedia article on lignin says that the paper used in making newsprint contains most of the original lignin in the plants. Does this imply that chemical treatments to dissolve lignin aren't needed to create pulp, if one is satisfied with producing paper that will yellow?

Biology news on Phys.org
FWIW - yellowing and paper falling apart with age are made worse by reduced washing. Hence more residual acid in the paper. This is why acid free paper is a must for musuem quality work, and why restorers may attempt to remove acid from older valuable documents.

Stephen Tashi said:
Does this imply that chemical treatments to dissolve lignin aren't needed to create pulp, if one is satisfied with producing paper that will yellow?

That's right, mechanical pulping is necessary for papermaking, but chemical delignification isn't always necessary for bleaching or brightening the paper. The lignin can be left in the mechanically pulped batch, then chromophores or color-causing molecules can be removed from the lignin with a different chemical treatment (doesn't dissolve the cellulose or lignin), which is more cost-effective as chemical delignification removes more bulk product. Also, some plants like Hemp have little lignin, so no chemicals are needed to make Hemp paper and it doesn't yellow.

Likes Stephen Tashi
The craft-oriented descriptions of making paper by hand say (for many common plants) to boil the plants in soda ash to "remove impurities". It isn't clear to me if this accomplishes delignification or whether "impurities" refers to something else.

I tried making paper with some amaranthus ("pig weed") that grows in my yard. It was boiled in soda ash and pulped in a blender. The pulp is slightly sticky - unlike pulp I've made from copier paper. It makes a reasonable sheet of paper, but it tends to glue itself to any surface it is drying upon.

Stephen Tashi said:
The craft-oriented descriptions of making paper by hand say (for many common plants) to boil the plants in soda ash to "remove impurities". It isn't clear to me if this accomplishes delignification or whether "impurities" refers to something else.

I tried making paper with some amaranthus ("pig weed") that grows in my yard. It was boiled in soda ash and pulped in a blender. The pulp is slightly sticky - unlike pulp I've made from copier paper. It makes a reasonable sheet of paper, but it tends to glue itself to any surface it is drying upon.

It looks to me as if the sodium carbonate is used to increase the pH in order for the dye to take (probably removing waxes or hydrophobic impurities). It isn't breaking the cellulose down, and chemicals that break down lignin also break down cellulose, so, I'm not sure if it is dissolving the lignin.

Related to Papermaking - pulp from plants

1. What types of plants are commonly used in papermaking?

Some of the most commonly used plants in papermaking include softwood trees like spruce, pine, and fir, as well as hardwood trees like oak, maple, and birch. Other plants such as bamboo, cotton, and hemp can also be used.

2. How is the pulp extracted from plants for papermaking?

The process of extracting pulp from plants involves breaking down the plant material and separating the fibers. This can be done mechanically by grinding or chemical pulping, where chemicals are used to dissolve the lignin and separate the fibers. The pulp is then washed and bleached before being made into paper.

3. Is papermaking from plants a sustainable practice?

Yes, papermaking from plants can be a sustainable practice if it is done responsibly. This includes using sustainable forestry practices, replanting trees, and using alternative plants like bamboo or agricultural residues. Recycling paper also helps to reduce the demand for new plant materials.

4. What are the advantages of using plant-based pulp in papermaking?

Using plant-based pulp in papermaking has several advantages. It is a renewable resource, unlike petroleum-based products. It is also biodegradable, making it more environmentally friendly. Additionally, plant-based pulp can produce high-quality paper with a variety of textures and finishes.

5. Are there any alternatives to using plants for papermaking?

Yes, there are some alternative materials that can be used for papermaking, such as recycled paper, which reduces the need for new plant materials. Other materials like kenaf, bagasse, and straw can also be used as a substitute for wood pulp. However, these alternatives may have limitations in terms of quality and availability.