Parabola (Horizontal) - finding vertex, focus and equation of line

In summary, you are trying to find the vertex of a parabola given y-y coordinates and an equation in standard form. The vertex is found when you add 48 to both sides of the equation.
zebra1707

Homework Statement

Use completing the square method to rewrite the equation of the parabola
y^2 – 4y – 44 = 16x in the form (y-y0)^2 = 4A(x-x0)

Hence find:

a) the coordinates of the vertex
b) the coordinates of the focus
c) the equation of the line that passes through the focus and parallel to the y-axis.

y^2 - 4y - 44 = 16x at this point I thought that the only way that I could get an equation whereby I could complete the square (and in the form required) was to add 48 to both sides of the equation.

which would give me y^2 - 4y + 4 = 16x + 48 and I could complete the square and in the form required.

(y - 2)^2 = 16(x+3)

*Vertex therefore would be (2, -3)
*Focal length A = 4
*Focus S is 4 units to the right of the Vertex S(6, -3)
*Equation of the line that passes through the focus and parallel to the y-axis x = -3

Homework Equations

As above

The Attempt at a Solution

As above - can someone confirm that I am on the right track with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The square piece which seems to be needed for adjustment purposes is (-4/2)^2, so you would add and subtract +4.

One of your steps should include something of lefthand side as
(y^2 - 4y + 4) - 4 - 44 which you should find by inspection contains a factorable expression, ultimately allowing you to find x as a function of y, in standard form ( I did not show all of the steps or full equations).

Hi there - many thanks for the assistance.

Just so that I have this right.

y^2 - 4y - 44 = 16x

y^2 - 4y + 4 - 44 = 16x + 4

(y^2 - 4y + 4) - 44 = 16x + 4

(y-2)^2 = 16x + 4 + 44

(y-2)^2 = 16x + 48

(y-2)^2 = 16(x + 3) I don't think that I need to simplify this any further?

Cheers Petra

symbolipoint said:
The square piece which seems to be needed for adjustment purposes is (-4/2)^2, so you would add and subtract +4.

One of your steps should include something of lefthand side as
(y^2 - 4y + 4) - 4 - 44 which you should find by inspection contains a factorable expression, ultimately allowing you to find x as a function of y, in standard form ( I did not show all of the steps or full equations).

Are these correct?

*Vertex therefore would be (2, -3) - No (-3, 2)
*Focal length A = 4
*Focus S is 4 units to the right of the Vertex S( )
*Equation of the line that passes through the focus and parallel to the y-axis x = -3

zebra1707 said:
Hi there - many thanks for the assistance.

Just so that I have this right.

y^2 - 4y - 44 = 16x

y^2 - 4y + 4 - 44 = 16x + 4

(y^2 - 4y + 4) - 44 = 16x + 4

(y-2)^2 = 16x + 4 + 44

(y-2)^2 = 16x + 48

(y-2)^2 = 16(x + 3) I don't think that I need to simplify this any further?

Cheers Petra

Are these correct?

*Vertex therefore would be (2, -3) - No (-3, 2)
*Focal length A = 4
*Focus S is 4 units to the right of the Vertex S(1,2)
*Equation of the line that passes through the focus and parallel to the y-axis x = 1

Your algebra steps seem good, but you did not finish. Your first goal was determine how to complete the square. Your second goal is to find x as a function of y and have this be in standard form. Reading the vertex from the result would then be rendered easily.

Hi there

The question asks to "rewrite the equation" of the parabola in the form (y-yo)^2 = 4A(x-xo)
and from there find the vertex etc... From the point that I have reached I can Identify the vertex.

So I am not sure that I understand you second statement? Just a bit confused.

Cheers Petra d

symbolipoint said:
Your algebra steps seem good, but you did not finish. Your first goal was determine how to complete the square. Your second goal is to find x as a function of y and have this be in standard form. Reading the vertex from the result would then be rendered easily.

Related to Parabola (Horizontal) - finding vertex, focus and equation of line

1. What is a parabola and how is it related to a horizontal line?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that is formed by the graph of a quadratic function. It is related to a horizontal line because the shape of a parabola is symmetrical along a vertical line called the axis of symmetry.

2. How do you find the vertex of a horizontal parabola?

The vertex of a horizontal parabola is the highest or lowest point on the curve. To find the vertex, we need to use the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c. The x-coordinate of the vertex is the value that we get from this formula, and the y-coordinate can be found by substituting the x-coordinate into the original equation.

3. How do you find the focus of a horizontal parabola?

The focus of a horizontal parabola is a point on the axis of symmetry that is equidistant from the vertex and the directrix. To find the focus, we first need to find the equation of the directrix, which is a horizontal line in the form y = k, where k is the distance between the directrix and the vertex. Then, we can use the formula x = -b/2a to find the x-coordinate of the focus. The y-coordinate will be the same as the y-coordinate of the vertex.

4. How do you write the equation of a horizontal parabola?

The equation of a horizontal parabola in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c can be written as y = a(x - h)^2 + k, where (h, k) is the vertex of the parabola. This form is called the vertex form of a quadratic equation. Alternatively, we can write the equation in its standard form of (x - h)^2 = 4p(y - k), where p is the distance between the focus and the vertex, and (h, k) is the vertex of the parabola.

5. How do you graph a horizontal parabola?

To graph a horizontal parabola, we first need to find the vertex, focus, and directrix. Then, we can plot these points on a coordinate plane and draw the parabola using the axis of symmetry and the shape of the curve. Additionally, we can find other points on the parabola by substituting different values for x into the equation and plotting the corresponding y-values. Lastly, we can draw a smooth curve through these points to complete the graph of the horizontal parabola.