Parallel Axis Theorem- Composite Areas (STATICS)

In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia for a beam's cross-sectional area about the x-axis. The given values for a, b, c, and d are used to determine the centroid (Cy) of the cross section. The formula Ix=Ix'+ACy^2 is then used to calculate the moment of inertia, with Cy being substituted for the distance to the neutral axis. However, the problem actually asks for the moment of inertia about the x-axis at the bottom of the cross section, which is different from the centroid. This results in a different answer than what was initially calculated.
Minescrushessouls

Homework Statement

Consider the beam shown in (Figure 1) . Suppose that a = 15 in. , b = 8 in. , c = 1 in., and d = 4 in.

Determine the moment of inertia for the beam's cross-sectional area about the x axis.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Det...iw=767&bih=740&dpr=1.25#imgrc=FBSvRrNrtgG_OM:

Homework Equations

Ix=Ix'+ACy^2

Where Cy is the centroid, so ΣACy=Σ(A*Cy) then ΣACy/ΣA=Cy

The Attempt at a Solution

I got Cy to be 1.86 inches

I then started to use the Ix expression:
(1/12)(x)(y)^3+(x)(y)(Cy)^2

I made sure to break it into squares and subtract values that overlap
ex: squares that's are 1x4, 1x13, and 1x8

I've done it two different ways and keep getting 109.8 in^4 as Ix and the homework system says that's not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you might be using the centroid of the cross section to calculate the distance to the neutral (centroidal) axis, but the problem wants the moment of inertia about the x-axis at the bottom of the cross section.

You're probably 100 percent right. I didn't read the question well enough

Related to Parallel Axis Theorem- Composite Areas (STATICS)

1. What is the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is a principle in mechanics that states that the moment of inertia of a rigid body about any axis is equal to the moment of inertia of the body about a parallel axis through the center of mass of the body, plus the product of the mass of the body and the square of the distance between the two axes.

2. How is the Parallel Axis Theorem used in statics?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is used in statics to calculate the moment of inertia of a composite area composed of multiple simpler shapes. By breaking down the composite area into simpler shapes and using the Parallel Axis Theorem, the moment of inertia can be calculated and used in further calculations.

3. What is a composite area?

A composite area is a two-dimensional shape made up of multiple simpler shapes combined together. Examples of composite areas include triangles, rectangles, and circles combined to form more complex shapes.

4. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia using the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia using the Parallel Axis Theorem is I = Icm + Ad2, where I is the moment of inertia about the desired axis, Icm is the moment of inertia about the center of mass, A is the area of the shape, and d is the distance between the desired axis and the center of mass.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem has many real-world applications, including in the design of bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also used in the design of machinery, such as gears and flywheels, to ensure proper balance and stability. Additionally, the Parallel Axis Theorem is used in the study of fluid dynamics to analyze the motion of fluids and the forces acting on them.