Parallel Resistors (special cases formula)

In summary, the problem involves finding the resistance of one wire in a parallel arrangement of 15 wires, given the total resistance and voltage applied. The solution provided suggests using the resistance of one wire instead of the total resistance, which would result in a different answer for the total power dissipated.
zug

Homework Statement

Problem:
A car's rear window defroster uses 15 strips of resistive wire in a parallel arrangement. If the total resistance is 1.4 ohms, what is the resistance of one wire?
Solution: rearrange formula to $$ R nR_{T} = (15)(1.4 \Omega) = 21 \Omega $$

Question: What is the total power dissipated in the defroster if 12 V is applied to it?[/B]

Homework Equations

$$ R_{T} = \frac {R}{n} $$
$$ P = \frac{V^2}{R} $$[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

To get the total power dissipated I assumed I would use the formula $$ P = \frac{V^2}{R} = \frac{12^2}{1.4 \Omega} = 102W $$

I was wrong though, the answer is 6.86 W.

$$ P = \frac{V^2}{R} = \frac{12^2}{21 \Omega} = 6.86 W $$ What I'm guessing is they used the resistance value of one wire (21 ohms) for the resistance. My question is, why did they use the resistance of one wire and not the total resistance of the wires? Especially since they were asking for the total power dissipated?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
If they are indeed looking for the total power dissipated then your solution is correct and theirs is wrong.

Related to Parallel Resistors (special cases formula)

1. How do you calculate the equivalent resistance of parallel resistors?

The formula for calculating the equivalent resistance of parallel resistors is: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... This formula can be extended for any number of resistors in parallel.

2. What is the special case formula for two parallel resistors?

The special case formula for two parallel resistors is: Req = (R1 * R2) / (R1 + R2). This formula is a simplified version of the general formula for parallel resistors.

3. How does adding resistors in parallel affect the total resistance?

Adding resistors in parallel decreases the total resistance. This is because the more paths there are for current to flow, the easier it is for electricity to pass through.

4. Can you use the special case formula for resistors with different values?

No, the special case formula for two parallel resistors only works if the resistors have the same value. If the resistors have different values, the general formula for parallel resistors must be used.

5. Why are parallel resistors used in circuits?

Parallel resistors are used in circuits for several reasons: to decrease the total resistance, to allow for different values of resistors to be used, and to increase the overall power handling capacity of the circuit.