Parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram

In summary, a Parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram is a graphical representation of voltage and current in a parallel RLC circuit, showing the relationships between components. It differs from a series RLC circuit phasor diagram in configuration and is used to analyze circuit behavior at different frequencies. To interpret it, one must understand phasors, and it can help in circuit analysis by identifying issues and aiding in design.
greg997
I am having difficulties with phasor diagram for Is and Vs of an parallel RLC circuit. I have calculated all values but not sure how to use phasors.
Impedance Z has angle +65°. Current Isupply +30° and Vsupply is Z*Is= Vs at angle 95°
But with parrallel network V is the reference so I guess it could be horizontal line.
Is Isupply 30° from virtual horizonatl reference line, and Vs 95 degrees from virtual horizonatl line, therefore the difference between these two would be 65 degrees with voltage leading?
Any help is welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
greg997 said:
Impedance Z has angle +65. Current Isupply +30 and Vsupply is Z*Is= Vs at angle 95
It's a bit of a mystery how you got those three angles. Normally, I or V is taken as the reference zero angle, but you seem to have used some other undisclosed voltage or current as your zero degree reference.

But with parrallel network V is the reference so I guess it could be horizontal line.
Yes. So you'd have V at 0 degrees. You say Z has been calculated inductive at +65 degrees. So this means I=V/Z giving I an angle of -65 degrees.

In summary, it's V at 0. Z at +65. I at -65. You of course need the degree symbols here, but this browser is broken and doesn't allow me to insert symbols.

So check what you have done, and try and figure out what that 30 degrees associated with the current is. I can't explain it. Perhaps there are other elements in your circuit?

Related to Parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram

1. What is a Parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram?

A Parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram is a graphical representation of the voltage and current in a parallel RLC circuit as a function of frequency. It shows the amplitude and phase relationships between the different components, such as the resistor, inductor, and capacitor.

2. How is a Parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram different from a series RLC circuit phasor diagram?

A parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram differs from a series RLC circuit phasor diagram in that the components are arranged in a parallel rather than a series configuration. This means that the voltage across each component is the same, while the current through each component may vary.

3. What is the purpose of a Parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram?

The purpose of a Parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram is to analyze the behavior of a parallel RLC circuit at different frequencies. It allows us to determine the resonant frequency, impedance, and power factor of the circuit, as well as how the different components affect the overall behavior.

4. How do you interpret a Parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram?

To interpret a Parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram, you must understand the concept of phasors, which are rotating vectors that represent the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal signal. The length of the phasor represents the amplitude, and its angle represents the phase. By comparing the lengths and angles of the different phasors, you can determine the amplitude and phase relationships between the different components in the circuit.

5. How can a Parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram help in circuit analysis?

A Parallel RLC circuit phasor diagram can help in circuit analysis by providing a visual representation of the circuit's behavior. It can help us determine the resonant frequency, impedance, and power factor of the circuit, as well as identify any potential issues, such as high currents or voltages at certain frequencies. It can also aid in designing and optimizing the circuit for a specific frequency or application.