Parallel transport on a symplectic space

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of parallel transport in symplectic spaces and differentiable manifolds, defined by functions Q and P that depend on a path between two points. The operator G, defined by a Poisson bracket, is used to calculate the parallel transport and the curvature 2-form of G can be expressed using the Lie bracket. The exponential map of the diffeomorphism group is given by parallel transport and the curvature of the natural connection is the Lie bracket of vector fields on the manifold.
andresB
TL;DR Summary
How to use the Poisson Bracket to write the curvature 2-form of a connection that parallels transport local coordinates in a symplectic space?
Sorry if the question is not rigorously stated.Statement: Let ##(q,p)## be a set of local coordinates in 2-dimensional symplectic space. Let ##\lambda=(\lambda_{1},\lambda_{2},...,\lambda_{n})## be a set of local coordinates of certain open set of a differentiable manifold ##\mathcal{M}.## For some ##\lambda_{0}## we define two differentiable functions ##Q_{0}=Q_{0}(q,p,\lambda_{0})## and ##P_{0}=P_{0}(q,p,\lambda_{0})## such that ##dq\wedge dp=dQ_{0}\wedge dP_{0}##.

For the other values of ##\lambda## we also want functions ##(Q_{\lambda},P_{\lambda})## such that ##dq\wedge dp=dQ_{\lambda}\wedge dP_{\lambda}.## However, we don't want ##(Q_{\lambda},P_{\lambda})## to depend only on a given value of ##\lambda## but they should depend also on the path taken from ##\lambda_{0}## to ##\lambda.## This is, we want a notion of parallel transport.

Assume we have an operator ##G=\left\{ \cdot,g\right\} =\partial_{q}g\partial_{p}-\partial_{p}g\partial_{q},## where ##g=g_{i}d\lambda_{i}## and ##g_{i}=g_{i}(q,p,\lambda_{i})##and the bracket is the Poisson bracket. For ##\lambda## very close to ##\lambda_{0}##we define parallel transport as $$Q_{\lambda} =Q_{0}+G[Q_{0}]=Q_{0}+\left\{ Q_{0},g\right\},$$
$$P_{\lambda} =P_{0}+G[P_{0}]=P_{0}+\left\{ P_{0},g\right\}.$$

I guess ##G##(or maybe ##g##?) is some form of a connection 1-form. I'm interested in the curvature 2-form of ##G.## In particular, can the components of the of the curvature can be expressed using the Poisson bracket as ##F_{ij}=\left\{ \cdot,f_{ij}\right\}?##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you should use the Lie bracket instead of the Poisson bracket, considering that there is an antihomorphism from the Poisson Algebra of functions to the Lie algebra of vector fields.
Then, if G is the diffeomorphism group of a manifold M, the exponential map of G is given by parallel transport of the natural connection and the curvature of the natural connection is the Lie bracket of vector fields on M.

1. What is parallel transport on a symplectic space?

Parallel transport on a symplectic space refers to the process of moving a vector or tensor along a path on the space while maintaining its direction and magnitude. It is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and is used to define a connection on the space.

2. How is parallel transport different from regular transport?

Regular transport involves moving an object from one point to another on a space without any constraints on its direction or magnitude. Parallel transport, on the other hand, maintains the direction and magnitude of the object while moving it along a path on the space.

3. What is the significance of parallel transport on a symplectic space?

Parallel transport is significant because it allows us to define a connection on the symplectic space, which is essential in understanding the curvature and geometry of the space. It also plays a crucial role in the study of physical systems, such as in classical mechanics and general relativity.

4. How is parallel transport related to symplectic geometry?

Parallel transport is closely related to symplectic geometry as it is used to define a connection on the symplectic space, which is a key concept in symplectic geometry. This connection allows us to study the curvature and topology of the space, which are important in understanding the behavior of symplectic systems.

5. Are there any applications of parallel transport on a symplectic space?

Yes, there are many applications of parallel transport on a symplectic space. It is used in various fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. For example, in physics, parallel transport is used to study the behavior of particles in curved spaces, while in engineering, it is used in control theory and robotics to describe the movement of objects in space.