Particle Entanglement and the Rarity-Tapster Experiment

In summary, the Rarity-Tapster experiment shows the interference pattern of photons, providing evidence for quantum entanglement. The graph of these photons behaving like ordinary Newtonian particles would not show an interference pattern, but rather a smeared out distribution. This is because the entanglement of the photons would not occur from a Newtonian perspective. However, if both photons were hitting the same screen, an interference pattern may be observed due to the wave nature of particles. Quantum entanglement refers to the linking of quantum states between entangled objects, which can only be observed when the objects are "observed," bringing the concept of consciousness into play. The quantum world is still not fully understood and continues to challenge our understanding of reality.
kirsten_2009

Homework Statement

With respect to the Rarity-Tapster experiment which shows the interference pattern of photons as support for the idea of quantum entanglement...what would the graph look like if these photons behaved like ordinary Newtonian particles?

Homework Equations

There is a graph that shows a wave with several peaks and troughs as a function of y-x vs. number of 2-particle impacts...which I am having trouble uploading =(

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if this is an experiment with which everyone in the physics community is familiar with; since I am myself new to physics but basically there is a source of 2 photons which are "entangled" (this concepts still eludes me a bit) and as each photon goes through a separate set of slits; it's impact is recorded on a screen. When this experiment is repeated numerous times and the impact points of photon 1 (x) and photon 2 (y) are graphed as the difference between y and x (y-x) then an interference pattern is apparent.

So...if these were Newtonian particles I think that because the two photons move in opposite directions, they would have impacted at the same distances below the halfway of the first screen and above the halfway of the second screen.So, x=y which would make for a straight diagonal line with a slope of 1 and a y-intercept of 0...correct?

Also, if it's not too much hassle, can someone just explain to me quantum entanglement in layman terms?

Thanks as always for all the help, it is incredible appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you would expect a smeared out distribution without the apparent oscillations. I would think the envelope would be the same, but you would not see any waves.

Objects in the quantum world can occupy many quantum states, but
these are not fixed until they are actually observed - that is Schrodinger's
cat can be both dead and alive at the same time. Some Physicists are
even of the meaning that the entities are not even there until they are
observed! Entangled objects have a common origin - they are created
in close proximity and their quantum states become linked together.
Entanglement have been observed on much larger scales - even
with macromolecules. When these entangled objects separate -
that is the photons travel off into different directions - we find that if one
of them is observed the other immediately also falls into its corresponding
quantum states. The problem comes with the term - observed. What does
it mean "when the particle is observed" ? Here consciousness comes into
play. It seems the objects are only there when they are observed. This is
where Einstein objected "I believe the moon is there even if no one is looking."
The quantum world is indeed strange! I entertain the idea that these objects
exist on a "different plane" and we connect through our consciousness to them.
It seems that your lecturer is expecting much more detailed knowledge from
you though since such a specific experiment is mentioned.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for the reply and the explanation. It makes a lot more sense to me now although it's still kind of "spooky". So, in terms of the appearance of the graph; would the distribution appear "smeared" or spread across and not show an interference pattern because the photons wouldn't be "entangled" from a Newtonian perspective...would they show an interference pattern if both photons were hitting the same screen?

Interference is a wave phenomena and cannot be explained by Newtonian
type of particles. The Newtonian term is included to emphazise that just
the particle aspect is present because today we know from a quantum
mechanical perspective that even particles, like electrons, exhibit a wave
nature as is evident from a double slit experiment.

Related to Particle Entanglement and the Rarity-Tapster Experiment

1. What is particle entanglement?

Particle entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when separated by large distances.

2. How is particle entanglement measured?

Particle entanglement can be measured by observing the correlations between the measurements of two entangled particles. These correlations are stronger than what is predicted by classical physics and can be quantified using mathematical tools such as Bell's inequality.

3. What is the Rarity-Tapster experiment?

The Rarity-Tapster experiment is a famous experiment that demonstrated the phenomenon of particle entanglement. It involved splitting a beam of photons and sending them to two different detectors, and then measuring the correlations between the photons' states.

4. What was the significance of the Rarity-Tapster experiment?

The Rarity-Tapster experiment provided strong evidence for the existence of particle entanglement and demonstrated that quantum mechanics accurately describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It also opened up new possibilities for technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

5. How is particle entanglement being used in practical applications?

Particle entanglement is being studied and utilized in various fields, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum teleportation. It has the potential to greatly improve information processing and communication technologies in the future.