Particle waves through a potential barrier

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a particle encountering a barrier and the resulting changes in probability. The sign convention used in the solution to the Schrodinger equation is also mentioned, with an explanation of how swapping signs affects the values in the equation.
DivGradCurl
Hi all,

I came across this figure in a textbook. Simple stuff, but can get tricky:

Screen_Shot_2015_08_14_at_11_49_49_PM.png

I don't understand why the sign convention flips upon entering the barrier (region II), but I guess the book is correct and that I should just take it as a fact.

If anybody has a reasonable thought to add so I'm making sense out of this rather than just accepting it, please let me know.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Physical intuition, a barrier is supposed to prevent a particle from passing through, therefore we must expect the probability to find the particle beyond the barrier is lower than it is before.

What do you mean by sign convention? The solution to the schrodinger equation for a particle in a region where the potential is larger than the energy is a sum of a decaying and growing exponentials.

You're free to swap the signs on the exponents in the A2 and B2 terms when setting up the solution, but then the values of A2 and B2 will also get swapped when you actually work out the solution.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the explanation, jtbell. That makes sense now.

Related to Particle waves through a potential barrier

1. What are particle waves through a potential barrier?

Particle waves through a potential barrier is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where particles can behave as both waves and particles. When a particle encounters a potential barrier, it can either be reflected or transmit through it, exhibiting wave-like behavior.

2. How do particle waves behave when encountering a potential barrier?

When a particle wave encounters a potential barrier, it can either be reflected or transmitted through it. The probability of reflection and transmission depends on the energy of the particle, the height and width of the potential barrier, and the shape of the barrier.

3. What is the significance of particle waves through a potential barrier?

Particle waves through a potential barrier is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and helps us understand the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of electronic devices like transistors.

4. How is the behavior of particle waves through a potential barrier described mathematically?

The behavior of particle waves through a potential barrier is described by the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system changes over time.

5. Can particle waves pass through a potential barrier with 100% probability?

No, according to quantum mechanics, there is always a probability of reflection and transmission when a particle wave encounters a potential barrier. The probability of transmission can be increased by increasing the energy of the particle or decreasing the height and width of the barrier, but it can never be 100%.