Path Integrals in Quantum Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses a general result for certain exponential integrals that may be of interest to those involved with using path integrals. The result is presented as a formula and is referenced in various textbooks. The individual asking the question is unsure if they are applying the formula correctly, but they are able to reproduce results from other sources using it. They also mention some criteria for when the formula can be applied, including extending it to the complex plane and using symmetry. It is suggested that further analysis is needed to determine when the formula is applicable.
rocdoc
Gold Member
I have found a general result for certain exponential integrals that may be of interest to those involved with using path integrals. I am not certain that I am applying it correctly but it appears to work, and I can reproduce results quoted in various textbooks , using it. This may however be coincidental.

The result is ,result 7.4.32 of Abramowitz and Stegun, see pg.303 of Reference 1. I quote
'$$\int e^{-(ax^2+2bx+c)}\:\mathrm{d}x=\frac{1} {2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi} {a} }e^{ \frac{b^2-ac}{a}} erf(\sqrt ax+\frac{b} {\sqrt a})+const. ~~~~~~~~ (a\neq0) $$'here erf(z) denotes the error function.

Naively I take the following as true
$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{-(ax^2+2bx+c)}\:\mathrm{d}x=\sqrt{\frac{\pi} {a} }e^{ \frac{b^2-ac}{a}}~~~~~~~(1)$$I assume this is true for complex valued ##a,b~\text {and}~ c##

Please note Spiegel, Reference 2 pg.183 result 35.3 gives ##erf(\infty)=1## and Reference 1 pg. 297 says ##erf(-z)=-erf~~z##

Using equation(1) , I can reproduce equation 8.18 of Kaku, see Reference 3; equation 1.1 of Bailin and Love, see Reference 4 and equation 1.49 of Cheng and Li , see reference 5.

So , am I OK with using equation (1)? Is it valid?

References

1) Handbook of Mathematical Functions , Eds M.Abramowitz and I.A. Stegun , Dover Publications, Inc., New York , Ninth Printing , Nov. 1970.

2) M. R. Spiegel, Ph.D. , Mathematical Handbook , McGraw-Hill , Inc. , 1968.

3) M.Kaku , QuantumField Theory, A Modern Introduction , Oxford University Press, Inc. , 1993.

4) D. Bailin and A.Love , Introduction to Gauge Field Theory, IOP Publishing Ltd, 1986.

5) Ta-Pei Cheng and Ling-Fong Li , Gauge theory of elementary particle physics ,Oxford University Press , New York, 1988.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It certainly should be valid with the understanding that you are extending it to an improper path integral in the complex plane. Since there are no poles there are no issues with choices of path and the result holds for limits at [itex]\pm \infty + 0 i[/itex].

Result 7.1.16 of Abramowitz and Stegun, Reference 1 of post1 , looks relevant to working out when the definite integral of post1 can be used. It is, I quote '

$$7.1.16~~~~~~~~~erf~ z \rightarrow 1~(~z\rightarrow \infty~~in~~~~|arg~z|<\frac{\pi} {4})$$

'.

To the result 7.1.16 of Abramowitz and Stegun, Reference 1 of post1 ,one may add
$$~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~erf~ z \rightarrow -1~(~z\rightarrow -\infty~~in~~~~|~\pi - arg~z|<\frac{\pi} {4})~~~~~~(2)$$
by use of symmetry, i.e.
$$erf(-z)=-erf~~z~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(3)$$
So I guess EQ(1) should be applicable, if
$$~~~~~~|~ arg(~\sqrt ax+\frac{b}{\sqrt a}~)|<\frac{\pi} {4}~~x\rightarrow \infty~~~~~(4)$$
and
$$~~~~~~|~\pi - arg(~\sqrt ax+\frac{b}{\sqrt a}~)|<\frac{\pi} {4}~~x\rightarrow -\infty~~~~~(5)$$
I also guess that the above inequalities may be extended to less than or equal versions, by the use of a suitable limit definition of ##erf ~z## for the boundaries of the regions of the complex plane mentioned in inequalities (4) and (5).

So with both ##a## and ##b## purely imaginary and 'positive' ( i.e. equivalent to points on the positive y-axis, in the complex plane), I guess we are OK to use the expression in EQ(1) for the definite integral, and also for ##a## and ##b## purely imaginary with ##a## positive but ##b## negative. I have not checked out the ##a## negative cases.

It also looks that it is OK to use the formula of EQ(1) for ##a,b,c## all real, which may account for result 15.75 of reference 2, which I quote'
$$15.75~~\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{-(ax^2+bx+c)}\:\mathrm{d}x=\sqrt{\frac{\pi} {a} }e^{ (b^2-4ac/4a)}~~~~~$$
Obviously the above is not a complete analysis of where EQ(1) may be applicable. I would be interested in a more complete analysis of when EQ(1) can be used.

Last edited:

Related to Path Integrals in Quantum Theory

What is a path integral in quantum theory?

A path integral in quantum theory is a mathematical tool used to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another in space and time. It involves summing up all possible paths that the particle could take in order to reach its final destination.

How are path integrals used in quantum theory?

Path integrals are used to calculate the probability of a particle's position and momentum in quantum mechanics. They allow for the prediction and analysis of complex systems, such as the behavior of subatomic particles, using mathematical models.

What is the significance of path integrals in quantum theory?

Path integrals provide a way to understand the behavior of quantum systems, which is often counterintuitive and difficult to visualize. They also allow for the calculation of important physical quantities, such as transition amplitudes and correlation functions.

How do path integrals differ from other mathematical tools in quantum theory?

Path integrals are different from other mathematical tools in quantum theory, such as wave functions and operators, because they incorporate both space and time into their calculations. This allows for a more complete understanding of a particle's behavior in a dynamic system.

What are the limitations of using path integrals in quantum theory?

Path integrals are limited in their applicability to certain types of systems and processes. They may also become increasingly complex and difficult to calculate as the number of particles involved in a system increases, making them more suitable for theoretical rather than practical use.