Path of a block suspended by two parallel cords

In summary, the block will move horizontally at first, and then will move up because the strings have a constant length.
stroustroup
I have an argument with classmates about the trajectory that the block will have (circle, ellipse, something else...).

The configuration is similar to this image.
http://minireference.com/_media/physics/momentum-bullet-speed-block.jpg?w=400

Initially, the block will move horizontally, after which it will move up as well, since the strings have constant length.

But will the path be a circle, an ellipse, or another shape?

I believe it will be a circle because the ropes will always be parallel and the middle axis of the parallelogram formed by these two ropes will also have constant length. So the distance of the middle point on top of the block to the ceiling is constant, which means it's a circle.

They believe it should be an ellipse, because the strings might not be always taut.
Which is true?

Physics news on Phys.org
The key is whether the strings are always taut.
I imagine this will rock like a pendulum, but I think you'll have to break out the calculus if you want a more detailed solution.
Or just build one and give it a push. Shouldn't be too hard to make.

Well, in this particular case when the bullet hits the block horizontally, the initial moment of the system about the center of mass is 0 since the bullet moves towards the block's center. The angular impulse is 0, since there are no net torque. So after the collision, the angular momentum must be the same as initially (i.e. 0) and so the block should always remain horizontal. In that case the strings will always be taut, I think.

But in our case, the bullet hits the block differently. The point of impact is the midpoint between the two cords, and the angle is 20 deg. to the horizontal. Not sure about the angular impulse now. The block might also spin around itself while swinging?

Related to Path of a block suspended by two parallel cords

1. What is the path of a block suspended by two parallel cords?

The path of a block suspended by two parallel cords is a curved line called a catenary. This curve is formed by the weight of the block pulling down on the two cords, creating a natural equilibrium.

2. How is the path of a block suspended by two parallel cords different from a straight line?

The path of a block suspended by two parallel cords is different from a straight line because of gravity. The weight of the block causes the cords to sag and create a curved shape instead of a straight line.

3. What factors affect the path of a block suspended by two parallel cords?

The factors that affect the path of a block suspended by two parallel cords include the weight of the block, the length and tension of the cords, and the force of gravity.

4. Can the path of a block suspended by two parallel cords be calculated mathematically?

Yes, the path of a block suspended by two parallel cords can be calculated using the catenary equation, which takes into account the weight of the block, the length and tension of the cords, and the force of gravity. This equation was first discovered by mathematician Jacob Bernoulli in the 17th century.

5. Why is the path of a block suspended by two parallel cords important?

The path of a block suspended by two parallel cords is important because it has practical applications in engineering and architecture. Understanding the catenary curve can help engineers and architects design structures that can support heavy loads without collapsing. It is also important for understanding the stability of suspension bridges and cable-stayed bridges.