Pendulum - find maximum angular displacement

In summary, the problem involves a 15-centimeter pendulum moving according to the equation theta=0.2cos8t, where theta is the angular displacement in radians and t is the time in seconds. The maximum angular displacement and rate of change of theta when t=3 seconds are determined by finding the critical points and setting the derivative to 0. The maximum angular displacement is 0.2 radians and the rate of change of theta is equal to 0 at t=3 seconds. Graphing the equation can help illustrate the pendulum's behavior.
Lunadora

Homework Statement

A 15-centimeter pendulum moves according to the equation:

theta=0.2cos8t

where theta is the angular displacement from the vertical in radians and t is the time in seconds. Determine the maximum angular displacement and the rate of change of theta when t=3 seconds.

Homework Equations

See, here's where I get stuck. It doesn't seem like I'm given enough information to do ANYTHING with this problem. At first I thought I could find the absolute maximum value by solving for theta at the endpoints and critical numbers, but I don't have any endpoints. Any physics equations I could use go out the window as well, because I have no initial displacement or velocity or any such stuff.

The Attempt at a Solution

Insert an hour of frustrated grumbling here, with no results.

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall from calculus that rate of change is equivalent to the derivative.

The local extrema of a function are located at the critical points. You can a find a critical point by setting the derivative to 0.

You should be good to go now.

Riiiiight, I don't need the absolute, I can just find the local. Thank you very much! xD

Okay, so I took the derivative and set it equal to zero, and now I have

0=-1.6sin8t

and no theta at all, which is what I am solving for. Also, t would equal 90 (or, since it's in radians, pi over 2), and when you sub it back into the original equation, theta is equal to 0.2 radians, which cannot be the right answer. Any help as to what I'm doing wrong?

You're absolutely right, the maximum angular displacement is .2.

Try graphing .2cos(8t) to illustrate the pendulum's behavior.

It IS 0.2? Phew, thank you. I graphed it, too, I see it now. Thanks for your help!

Related to Pendulum - find maximum angular displacement

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is able to swing back and forth due to the force of gravity.

2. What is maximum angular displacement?

Maximum angular displacement is the greatest angle that a pendulum swings away from its equilibrium position.

3. How is maximum angular displacement calculated?

Maximum angular displacement can be calculated using the formula θ = asin(A/g), where θ is the maximum angular displacement, a is the amplitude of the pendulum's swing, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors affect the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum?

The maximum angular displacement of a pendulum can be affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the strength of gravity.

5. Why is it important to find the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum?

Finding the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum can help us understand the behavior and characteristics of pendulums, which can have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and timekeeping.