Pendulum in a Car: Solving Homework Statement

In summary, a pendulum of mass 1.0 kg suspended from the roof of a car traveling on a level road with an angle of 10 deg with the vertical indicates that the car is accelerating at a rate of mg tan10 deg divided by the radius of the pendulum. The equations used are Tcos10=mg and Tsin10=ma, which can be simplified to tan10= a/g. The mass of the pendulum does not affect the calculation as it cancels out in the equation.
phizics09

Homework Statement

A pendulum of mass 1.0 kg is suspended from the roof of a car traveling on a level road. An observer in the car notices that the pendulum string makes an angle of 10 deg with the vertical. What is the acceleration of the car?

Homework Equations

Fc=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the FBD diagram (attached) and I wrote the vertical and horizontal force equations:
Vertically: Tcos 10 deg=mg
Horizontally: Fc=mv^2/r=Tsin10deg.
So I got he equation mgtan10deg=mv^2/r after putting the equations together. But I don't know the radius of the pendulum, so I don't know how to solve the problem.

Thanks!

Pendulum Problem.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you use the centripetal force? Does anything move along a circle? ehild

The suspended mass accelerates together with the car. Some force has to exert the force needed. It can be only the tension in the string, if it makes an angle with the vertical. The horizontal component of the tension is equal to ma (a is the common acceleration of the car and the pendulum) and the vertical component is equal and opposite to gravity, mg.

Likes simplyphysics
Oh i got it! Are the equations:
Tcos10=mg
Tsin10=ma

Sub T=mg/cos10 into Tsin10=ma, cancel out the m's and solve for a?

Actually,it gives you mass in the problem, so I don't know if I should cancel it out or not :S

As you get the a single equation for a from those two, the mass cancels by itself, but if you like to multiply and divide by m and making rounding errors, just do it:-p

ehild

I see, thanks :D

Likes simplyphysics

Related to Pendulum in a Car: Solving Homework Statement

1. What is a pendulum in a car?

A pendulum in a car is a physics concept that involves a pendulum (a weight suspended from a fixed point) moving within a car that is accelerating or decelerating.

2. How is the motion of a pendulum in a car affected by the car's movements?

The motion of a pendulum in a car is affected by the car's movements because the car's acceleration or deceleration causes a change in the pendulum's position and velocity. This can result in the pendulum swinging at different angles and speeds.

3. What is the equation for calculating the period of a pendulum in a car?

The equation for calculating the period of a pendulum in a car is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period (time for one full swing), L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How can a pendulum in a car be used to measure the car's acceleration?

A pendulum in a car can be used to measure the car's acceleration by measuring the change in the pendulum's period. As the car accelerates or decelerates, the pendulum's period will change due to the change in the car's velocity. This change in period can then be used to calculate the car's acceleration.

5. How can a pendulum in a car be used to demonstrate the concept of inertia?

A pendulum in a car can be used to demonstrate the concept of inertia by showing how the pendulum continues to swing in its original direction even when the car changes its direction or comes to a sudden stop. This is because of the pendulum's inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist change in its motion.