Percentage change in volume of a fluid parcel

In summary, the question asks for the percentage change in volume of a fluid parcel at a central point in a 2-D flow. The velocity components at four different points are given and the divergence of velocity is used to calculate the change in volume. However, there is a mistake in the interpretation of the answer, which should be given in terms of percentage change. Part b asks if the flow satisfies conservation of mass for an incompressible fluid.
ColdFusion85

Homework Statement

The velocity components in a plane (i.e., 2-D) flow are measured at four points as indicated in the sketch at the bottom of this page (see attached doc. I wrote in the coords). The velocity components at the respective points are, in units of cm/sec:

[tex]u_a=5, v_a=2, u_b=7, v_b=3, u_c=6.5, v_c=3.5, u_d=5.5, v_d=1.5[/tex]

a) Estimate the percentage change in volume of a fluid parcel at the central point o.
b), c) no questions thus far on my part

Homework Equations

divergence of V = 0 for incompressible fluid (assumption made in problem since we haven't done compressible flow yet)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I figured that since the divergence of V = partial(u)/partial(x) + partial (v)/partial(y), the partial(v)/partial(x) and partial(u)/partial(y) components don't need to be calculated (i.e., v_a, v_b, u_c, u_d are not relevant). Is this a correct assumption? If so, I took

(u_b-u_a)/2(dx)
= (7-5)/2(3) = (1/3)

and (v_d-v_c)/2(dy)
= (1.5-3.5)/2(2) = (1/2)

so div(V) = (1/3)-(1/2)
= -(1/6)

Thus, the total change in volume at the central point is (-1/6).

Does this make sense, or am I approaching the problem incorrectly?

Part b) asks whether this flow satisfies conservation of mass for an incompressible fluid. I would think that since there is a net change in volume, that it wouldn't satisfy it. Is this correct?

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone offer some help?

One more plea for help?

Does this help. It's copied from notes of mine written in tex, so pardon the inline math type.

The divergence of velocity is written as:
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\label{div01}
\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{V}\equiv \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial w}{\partial z}
\end{equation}
[/tex]
This term shows up often in the governing equations. It essentially tells us the rate of change of the volume. See Figure ? using the following notation:
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
&V = \mbox{Control Volume} \\
&S = \mbox{Control Surface} \\
&dS = \mbox{Infinitesimal Control Surface Element} \\
&\vec{V} = \mbox{Flow Velocity at }ds \\
&\vec{n} = \mbox{Unit Normal Vector pointing \emph{out} of }V
\end{split}
\nonumber
\end{equation}
[/tex]
We consider a control volume $V$ moving with the fluid (Lagrangian approach). Since it's moving with the fluid, no mass crosses the boundary $S$ as the fluid moves. Because of this, the total mass in the control volume is fixed, and invariant with time. However, the volume $V$ and its surface $S$ change in time, as the volume moves with the fluid. Consequently, the density $\rho$ \emph{can} change with time.

We will now further examine the infinitesimal control surface element $ds$. The change in the volume of the control volume, $\Delta V$, due to the movement of $dS$ over a time $\Delta t$ is equal to the long thin element with a base area $dS$ and altitude $(\vec{V}\Delta t\cdot\vec{n})$ as shown in Figure ?. We can write:
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\label{div002}
\Delta V = \left[ (\vec{V}\Delta t)\cdot\vec{n}\right] dS
\end{equation}
[/tex]
We write $d\vec{S} = dS\vec{n}$
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\label{div003}
(\vec{V}\Delta t)\cdot d\vec{S}
\end{equation}
[/tex]
Over the time increment $\Delta t$, the total change in volume $V$, of the entire element is the summation of all the changes from all of the infinitesimal elements, $dS$. We take the limit as $dS$ approaches zero and write the total change in volume:
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\label{div003}
\Delta V = \iint_S (\vec{V}\Delta t)\cdot d\vec{S}
\end{equation}
[/tex]
We divide by $\Delta t$ to obtain the time rate of change of the control volume $V$ or how fast its changing. Do note that because the element is moving (recall Lagrangian approach), we \emph{must} use the total derivative.
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\label{div004}
\frac{DV}{Dt} = \frac{1}{\Delta t} \iint_S (\vec{V}\Delta t)\cdot d\vec{S} = \iint_S \vec{V}\cdot s\vec{S}
\end{equation}
[/tex]
We are allowed to pull the $\Delta t$ out because it doesn't change with a change in control surface $S$.

At this point we need to recall Divergence Theorem (Gauss's Theorem) from vector calculus. This theorem states that the outward flux of a vector field through a surface is equal to the triple integral of the divergence on the region inside the surface. Simply put, it states that the sum of all sources minus the sum of all sinks gives the ne flow out of a region. In equation form:
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\label{divergencetheorem}
\iiint_V (\Delta \cdot \vec{F})dV = \iint_{\delta V} \vec{F}\cdot \vec{n}dS
\end{equation}
[/tex]

If we now apply the Divergence Theorem, Equation \ref{divergencetheorem}, we get:
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\label{div005}
\frac{DV}{Dt} = \iint_S \vec{V}\cdot d\vec{S} \equiv \iiint_V (\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{V})dV
\end{equation}
[/tex]
We then shrink the control volume $V$ to an infinitesimal control volume $\delta V$.
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\label{div006}
\frac{D(\delta V)}{Dt} = \iiint_{\delta V} (\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{V})dV
\end{equation}
[/tex]
If we can then assume that $\delta V$ is small enough that the term $(\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{V})$ is essentially the same value throughout $\delta V$, then we can write:
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\label{div007}
\frac{D(\delta V)}{Dt} = \iiint_{\delta V} { (\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{V}) } dV = (\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{V})\delta V
\end{equation}
[/tex]
Or:
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\label{div008}
\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{V} = \frac{1}{\delta V}\frac{D(\delta V)}{Dt}
\end{equation}
[/tex]
The divergence of the velocity is \emph{physically} the time rate of change of the volume of a \emph{moving} fluid element, per unit volume.

ColdFusion85 said:

Homework Equations

divergence of V = 0 for incompressible fluid (assumption made in problem since we haven't done compressible flow yet)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I figured that since the divergence of V = partial(u)/partial(x) + partial (v)/partial(y), the partial(v)/partial(x) and partial(u)/partial(y) components don't need to be calculated (i.e., v_a, v_b, u_c, u_d are not relevant). Is this a correct assumption? If so, I took

(u_b-u_a)/2(dx)
= (7-5)/2(3) = (1/3)

and (v_d-v_c)/2(dy)
= (1.5-3.5)/2(2) = (1/2)

so div(V) = (1/3)-(1/2)
= -(1/6)

Thus, the total change in volume at the central point is (-1/6).

Does this make sense, or am I approaching the problem incorrectly?
You are on the right track, but there is a problem in your interpretation of the answer, -1/6.

What are the units associated with this number? If it's not obvious, review how you calculated it, and the units of the numbers that went into the calculation.

Also, recall that the question asks for a percentage change.

Part b) asks whether this flow satisfies conservation of mass for an incompressible fluid. I would think that since there is a net change in volume, that it wouldn't satisfy it. Is this correct?

Related to Percentage change in volume of a fluid parcel

What is the definition of percentage change in volume?

Percentage change in volume of a fluid parcel refers to the relative change in the volume of a fluid parcel over a given period of time. It is calculated by taking the difference between the initial volume and the final volume, divided by the initial volume, and multiplied by 100.

Why is percentage change in volume important in fluid dynamics?

Percentage change in volume is important in fluid dynamics because it helps us understand the behavior of fluids and how they respond to different forces. It is particularly useful in studying the expansion and contraction of fluids, which can impact processes such as weather patterns, ocean currents, and air flow.

How is percentage change in volume different from absolute change in volume?

Percentage change in volume takes into account the initial volume of a fluid parcel, while absolute change in volume only measures the difference between the final and initial volumes. This means that percentage change in volume gives a more accurate representation of how much the volume has changed relative to its original size.

What factors can cause a significant percentage change in volume of a fluid parcel?

The percentage change in volume of a fluid parcel can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as changes in pressure, temperature, and composition of the fluid. External forces, such as gravity or wind, can also impact the volume of a fluid parcel.

How can percentage change in volume be calculated in practical experiments?

To calculate the percentage change in volume of a fluid parcel in a practical experiment, you would need to measure the initial volume of the fluid, then measure the final volume after a specific period of time. The percentage change can then be calculated using the formula mentioned in the answer to the first question.