Permanent Magnet Pump Speed Control

In summary, the person is looking for a way to reduce the frequency of the AC supply to their submerged magnetic water pump, which is pushing too much water at 8500L/hr. They are specifically looking for a circuit or solution similar to a rheostat that can be adjusted to lower the propeller rpm. The pump is rated at 17 watts and 230V, and a google search for "AC motor speed control" can provide other circuit designs.
Cudaxtreme
Hi,

I have a submerged magnetic water pump that is pushing too much water at 8500L/hr. I know that the propeller rpm depends on the frequency of the AC supply but how can I build a simple circuit to reduce the frequency?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Could you brief me about ur device so that I can try to figure out some way of reducing the frequency.? How does your pump work?

Sridhar

Its has a magnetic rotor that will spin when switched on, this rotor is connected to a propeller that pushes the water. I need something that can reduce the frequency of the AC supply so that the propeller will spin at a lower rpm. The best solution would be something like a rheostat where I can adjust the speed with a turn of a knob.

Do you know the current rating of the motor?

I found this schematic that you might be able to use.

http://www.electronics.50g.com/cacspeed.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a small pump, rated at 17watts/230V/50Hz.

I would need something for 230V

Thanks!

Sorry, I shouldn't assume 110/120 V.

Not much current draw at all. That control circuit is rated at 10 A at 120V. The maximum power it can handle is 1200W. Since your motor is rated at 17 watts, it would have no problem handling the power requirements of your pump at 230V.

A google search for "AC motor speed control" will yield lots of hits if you want to look for other circuit designs.

Related to Permanent Magnet Pump Speed Control

What is a Permanent Magnet Pump Speed Control?

A Permanent Magnet Pump Speed Control is a type of pump control system that uses permanent magnets to control the speed of a pump. It is an energy-efficient method of controlling pump speed, as it eliminates the need for external energy sources such as motors or gears.

How does a Permanent Magnet Pump Speed Control work?

The control system uses permanent magnets to create a magnetic field that interacts with the rotor of the pump. By adjusting the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the rotor can be controlled, which in turn controls the speed of the pump. This is achieved without the use of any additional energy sources, making it a sustainable and cost-effective solution.

What are the benefits of using a Permanent Magnet Pump Speed Control?

There are several benefits to using this type of pump control system. These include energy efficiency, reduced maintenance costs, and improved reliability. The use of permanent magnets also eliminates the need for external energy sources, making it a more environmentally friendly option.

Is a Permanent Magnet Pump Speed Control suitable for all types of pumps?

No, this type of control system is best suited for high-speed pumps such as centrifugal pumps. It is not suitable for positive displacement pumps as they require a constant speed to maintain flow and pressure.

How do I choose the right Permanent Magnet Pump Speed Control for my application?

When selecting a Permanent Magnet Pump Speed Control, it is important to consider factors such as the type of pump, the required flow rate, and the operating environment. It is also essential to consult with a pump expert to ensure the control system is compatible with your specific pump and application.