Permutations commuting with their powers

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that in Sn the cycle (1,2,...n) only commutes with its powers. It is mentioned that cycles commute when they are disjoint and that every permutation can be written as a product of disjoint cycles. The concept of centralizers is also brought up. The conversation ends with suggestions on how to approach the problem and a reminder that the thread is 5 years old.
copper-head
I have been asked to show that in Sn the cycle (1,2,...n) only commutes with its powers.
I know that cycles commute when they are disjoint and that every permutation can be written as a product of disjoint cycles but how do i show that this cycle and its powers are disjoint?

PLz help.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, copper-head, welcome to PF.

Is this a homework problem, then? You have been asked to compute the centralizer of an n-cycle in S_n; not to show that the powers of the cycle are all distinct from the cycle itself (which is not even true!).

I see. It is actually not a homework problem, since I'm trying to tackle this on my own. I do appreciate you pointing the right way to think about this. I wonder if you could suggest further reading on the centralizer concept as i am not familiar with it.

Thanks in advance.

I have found some stuff on Centralizers online, and i think i understand the concept. I am however unable yet to make the connection with my problem.
If "The centralizer of a permutation is the set of all permutations
which commute with it" how do i prove that the only set that works are the powers of the cycle?
this still eludes me!
Could someone please help?

Thinking of this in terms of a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_action" is helpful.

Showing that the centralizer of cycle [itex]a=(1,2,\dots,n) \in S_n[/itex], [itex]C_{S_n}(a)[/itex] is equal to the group generated by the cycle of [itex]\langle a \rangle[/itex], is equivalent to showing that the stabilizer [itex]\text{Stab}_{S_n}(a)=\langle a \rangle[/itex], for [itex]S_n[/itex] acting on itself by conjugation.

It is obvious that every power is in the centralizer group, so then you must show that it contains only those elements. Hint on how to do this: the number of conjugates is the size of the orbit of [itex]a[/itex] in [itex]S_n[/itex]. By the orbit-stabilizer theorem, number of orbits equals the index of the stabilizer in [itex]S_n[/itex]. So just count the conjugates (the orbits), and solve for the size of the stabilizer.

Last edited by a moderator:
dear "postylem"
please, example ?
thanks

copper-head said:
I have been asked to show that in Sn the cycle (1,2,...n) only commutes with its powers.
I know that cycles commute when they are disjoint and that every permutation can be written as a product of disjoint cycles but how do i show that this cycle and its powers are disjoint?

PLz help.

Thank you.

I would do a direct calculation on generators of the group.

For instance, take the permutation 1->2 2->1 all other elements stay fixed. Then this permutation followed by your cycle is 2->1 -> 2 but in the other order 2 ->3 ->3

Last edited:
Remember that powers of an element will always commute with themselves, the cycle decomposition won't have to be disjoint. Furthermore, the "disjoint cycles implies commutativity" implication is only one way, not an "if and only if".
You can just directly compute how the cycle (1 2 .. n ) acts on an arbitrary k-cycle, the fact that the cycle ( 1 2 .. n ) actually moves all symbols should help.

This thread is 5 years old...

Related to Permutations commuting with their powers

1. What does it mean for a permutation to commute with its powers?

When a permutation is applied to a set of objects and then that result is applied to the same set of objects again, and the resulting arrangement is the same as if the permutation had been applied only once, then the permutation is said to commute with its powers. In other words, the order in which the permutation and its powers are applied does not matter.

2. How can you tell if a permutation commutes with its powers?

To determine if a permutation commutes with its powers, you can look at its cycle structure. If the permutation is composed of disjoint cycles, then it will commute with its powers. Additionally, if the permutation has a power that is the identity permutation, then it will commute with its powers.

3. Can a permutation commute with all of its powers?

No, not all permutations will commute with all of their powers. For example, the permutation (1 2 3) does not commute with its powers, as its square is (1 3 2). However, some permutations, such as the identity permutation and the permutations composed of disjoint cycles, will commute with all of their powers.

4. How are permutations that commute with their powers useful?

Permutations that commute with their powers are useful in various areas of mathematics, such as group theory and combinatorics. They can be used to simplify calculations and proofs, as their order does not matter. In particular, they are important in the study of symmetric groups and in the construction of Latin squares.

5. Can a permutation that commutes with its powers be non-cyclic?

Yes, a permutation that commutes with its powers can be non-cyclic. For example, the permutation (1 2)(3 4) commutes with its powers, but it is not a cyclic permutation. This is because it is composed of two disjoint cycles, and each cycle commutes with itself. Therefore, the entire permutation commutes with all of its powers.