Phase Space and two dimensional Hilbert Space

In summary: What's the main difference between the Classical phase space, and the two dimensional Hilbert Space ?What reading have you got on both things?my brief understanding for each one is :The Classical phase space allowed me to describe the dynamics of a system by its eigenvalues and eigenvectors, given from a Hamiltonian .The two dimensional Hilbert Space, its quitely the same thing,but here i work with eigenstates that my system can assume,restricted by rules of this vectorial space ,where my observables are represented by operators acting on eigenstates.i don't know if i make myself clear,but
Gean Martins
I always had this doubt,but i guess i never asked someone. What's the main difference between the Classical phase space, and the two dimensional Hilbert Space ?

Physics news on Phys.org
my brief understanding for each one is :

The Classical phase space allowed me to describe the dynamics of a system by its eigenvalues and eigenvectors, given from a Hamiltonian .

The two dimensional Hilbert Space, its quitely the same thing,but here i work with eigenstates that my system can assume,restricted by rules of this vectorial space ,where my observables are represented by operators acting on eigenstates.

i don't know if i make myself clear,but my question remains : There's no difference between them ?

Do you have a reference for this ?
[...]The Classical phase space allowed me to describe the dynamics of a system by its eigenvalues and eigenvectors, given from a Hamiltonian .[...]

Actually, i wrote this from my previous knowledge acquired from undergraduate course in physics.

I am sorry, you need to do some more reading. We cannot answer questions coming from misunderstandings whose clearing you cannot grasp.

Gean Martins said:
i wrote this from my previous knowledge acquired from undergraduate course in physics.

What textbook were you using? Can you give a reference from it that explains where your statement in post #3 comes from?

(And in case it isn't apparent, the reason we are asking is that your description of classical phase space and dynamics doesn't look right; it looks like a description of quantum Hilbert space and dynamics. So it seems like you are confusing the two.)

Likes Gean Martins
A 2-dimensional space (but a symplectic space, not a Hilbert space) describes classical linear dynamics of a single particle in 1 dimension. In contrast, a 2-dimensional Hilbert space describes quantum linear dynamics of a single spin degree of freedom. The interpretation of a vector in the two spaces is also quite different: Each 2-dimensional vector in the classical symplectic space has real coordinates and describes position and momentum of a moving particle, while a 2-dimensional vector in the quantum Hilbert space has complex coordinates and is just a representative of a ray describing a point on the Bloch sphere, corresponding to a pure spin 1/2 state of a particle at rest.

Last edited:
Likes Gean Martins
I've used basically two books for my readings on Classical Mechanics ,they are : Classical dynamics of particles and systems - Stephen T. Thornton and Jerry B. Marion. ; And Mecânica Analítica - Nivaldo Lemos;

Maybe, i might have expressed badly on my definition of a Phase Space, so i don't want to relate the ideas that I've pass with the books that i used, they are great for advanced introduction on Classical Mechanics. I want to thank you all for the answers, especially A . Neumaier , that's an answer that i was expecting to get . Thank you good sir.

I

Related to Phase Space and two dimensional Hilbert Space

1. What is Phase Space?

Phase space is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the state of a physical system. It is a multi-dimensional space in which each point represents a possible state of the system at a specific time.

2. How is Phase Space related to two dimensional Hilbert Space?

Two dimensional Hilbert space is a type of vector space used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a two-level system. It is closely related to phase space, as the two-dimensional nature of Hilbert space is equivalent to the two-dimensional nature of phase space.

3. What are the dimensions of Phase Space and two dimensional Hilbert Space?

Phase space can have any number of dimensions, depending on the number of variables needed to fully describe the system. Two dimensional Hilbert space, as the name suggests, has two dimensions.

4. Why are Phase Space and two dimensional Hilbert Space important in physics?

Phase space and two dimensional Hilbert space are important in physics because they provide a mathematical framework for describing and understanding the behavior of physical systems, especially in quantum mechanics. They allow scientists to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of systems, which can then be tested through experiments.

5. What are some real-world applications of Phase Space and two dimensional Hilbert Space?

Phase space and two dimensional Hilbert space have many applications in physics, including in the study of chaotic systems, quantum computing, and quantum cryptography. They are also used in fields such as engineering, finance, and biology to model and analyze complex systems.