Photo of my RA drive. Its an ETX-105.

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive Photo
In summary, the conversation discusses a potential issue with the RA drive of an ETX-105 telescope. The problem appears to be related to electronic oscillations, which may be caused by an electronic issue or a small piece of plastic or nylon in the drive train. The conversation also mentions a new Autostar feature that corrects for backlash and looseness in the drive, and the possibility of using silicone lubricant instead of grease for better performance in colder temperatures. The person speaking plans to contact Meade tech support for further assistance.
russ_watters
Mentor
Attached is a photo of my RA drive. Its an ETX-105. The only visible problem is too much grease, but that's not a fatal issue. There are no chipped teeth, burrs, or anything else visible that could cause the problem.

I watched run it for several minutes, then turned the scope off and moved it by hand. Moving it by hand, everything appears smooth. When electronically driven, every now and then, for no reason I can see, it starts oscillating back and forth for about a second, then resumes moving (and corrects itself). It does not happen at regular intervals - sometimes it happens 5 times in 10 seconds, sometimes the drive runs smooth for minutes at a time. Seems to me like it could be an electronic issue.

Do you know much about the new Autostar feature, "[drive] percent"? It corrects for backlash and "looseness" (the gears have to move a little before they start moving the scope) in the drive when manually slewing. I've gotten good results with it fixing issues like "creep after beep" and slow response times, but could that have anything to do with the tracking rate? Perhaps I need to play with those values some more...

I think I'll call Meade tech support to see what they have to say.

Attachments

• drive1.jpg
    drive1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Since you have looked at the drive train while it was operating, did you notice if any of the gears have a period of 30 seconds or so (or any period that could divide evenly into the minimum period of the oscillations)? There could be a very tiny piece of plastic or nylon floating around in all that grease causing some binding periodically. BTW, that IS quite a bit of grease in there and I would be a bit surprised if the scope did not give you drive troubles on cold nights.

I've cleaned off some of the more critical surfaces (a greased clutch plate? c'mon :rolleyes: ), but I guess I'll clean out the whole ra drive gear assembly.

russ_watters said:
I've cleaned off some of the more critical surfaces (a greased clutch plate? c'mon :rolleyes: ), but I guess I'll clean out the whole ra drive gear assembly.
That's probably a good idea. On colder nights, you could easily get ropes of grease forming (like taffy) and feeding into one or more parts of the drive train, and causing periodic binding. You might want to check with Meade before trying this, but in cold weather situations, that entire train would probably be better lubricated with a light coating of silicone. It would give less loading (requiring fewer corrective guiding measures) on the RA drive, and would make your scope's drive last longer. If you ever observe in a COLD environment, and your RA drive has to pump cold stiff grease, you can bet that those little nylon gears will get sloppy PDQ. If the RA drive is being stressed, the scope will soon be useful for little more than bird-watching and casual sky-gazing.

Related to Photo of my RA drive. Its an ETX-105.

1. What is a RA drive?

A RA (Right Ascension) drive is a motorized mechanism that is used to control the movement of a telescope in the east-west direction. It allows for precise tracking of celestial objects as they move across the sky.

2. What is the ETX-105?

The ETX-105 is a model of telescope manufactured by Meade Instruments. It is a compact and portable telescope designed for both amateur and professional astronomers.

3. How does the RA drive work?

The RA drive works by utilizing a motorized gear system that rotates the telescope's mount along its polar axis. This allows the telescope to track the movement of stars and other celestial objects as the Earth rotates.

4. What is the purpose of the RA drive in astrophotography?

The purpose of the RA drive in astrophotography is to compensate for the Earth's rotation and keep the camera or telescope pointed at the same spot in the sky. This allows for longer exposure times and sharper images of celestial objects.

5. Can the RA drive be used for visual observations?

Yes, the RA drive can be used for visual observations as well as astrophotography. It allows for easier tracking of celestial objects and reduces the need for constant manual adjustments of the telescope's position.