Photon absorption by an accelerated atom

In summary, the question is whether quantum mechanics considers photon absorption by an accelerating atom as an instantaneous event or if the change in velocity and proper time of the atom affects the perceived distribution of the wave packet and the outcome of the process. The question also asks if there is a "Doppler gradient" affecting the absorption. Some suggest that the energy levels of an atom determine the frequency of absorbed photons, while others suggest that the acceleration of the atom may play a role. Further clarification is needed on whether the absorption occurs during a lapse of time when the atom is considered inertial or if it spans over several frames.
Leo.Ki
I'm wondering whether QM considers photon absorption by an accelerating atom as an instantaneous event, or the change in velocity (and proper time) of the atom affects the perceived distribution of the wave packet and the outcome of the process. In other words, is there a "Doppler gradient" affecting the absorption? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Leo.Ki said:
I'm wondering whether QM considers photon absorption by an accelerating atom as an instantaneous event, or the change in velocity (and proper time) of the atom affects the perceived distribution of the wave packet and the outcome of the process. In other words, is there a "Doppler gradient" affecting the absorption? Thanks!

I'm no expert but an atom will absorb energy at specifc quanta according to the energy levels of it's electrons, assuming you know the energy levels of each electron, then the photon of this precise level will be absorbed at this frequency, I don't think the doppler effect makes any difference as the energy of the atom is what is important, but as I said I am no expert. I could be mistaken, but I assume that the atoms speed means that the only difference is in absorption time I supose for speeds close to c? Anyway I'm sure someone more knowledgeable could answer this.

Thanks, Schrödinger's Dog. The problem is that the frequency of the incident photon is constant only for an inertial frame. Unless the acceleration of the atom is caused by gravity, the atom is not likely to accelerate as a whole block. Moreover any acceleration is quantized in tiny jerks if I understand right. Is it assumed that the absorption occurs during a lapse of time during which the atom is considered inertial, or does it span over several frames?

Related to Photon absorption by an accelerated atom

1. How does photon absorption occur in an accelerated atom?

Photon absorption in an accelerated atom occurs when the atom is moving and interacts with a photon. The atom absorbs the photon's energy, causing it to transition to a higher energy state.

2. What factors can affect the absorption of photons by an accelerated atom?

The absorption of photons by an accelerated atom can be affected by the energy and frequency of the photons, the velocity of the atom, and the angle at which the photon and atom collide.

3. Can an accelerated atom absorb multiple photons at the same time?

Yes, an accelerated atom can absorb multiple photons at the same time. This is known as multi-photon absorption and it occurs when the energy of the photons is higher than the energy required for a single-photon transition.

4. How does photon absorption by an accelerated atom differ from absorption by a stationary atom?

Photon absorption by an accelerated atom differs from absorption by a stationary atom in that the energy and momentum of the atom are changed due to its acceleration, which can affect the absorption process. Additionally, the Doppler effect can also play a role in the absorption of photons by an accelerated atom.

5. What are the potential applications of studying photon absorption by an accelerated atom?

Studying photon absorption by an accelerated atom can have applications in fields such as laser physics, quantum optics, and atomic and molecular physics. It can also help in understanding the behavior of atoms in high-energy environments, such as in particle accelerators.