Physicist (master degree) working in a large city's hospital?

In summary: These are typically entry-level positions, but the pay and benefits are good. In summary, a physicist could find work in a hospital that doesn't involve routine scans, radiation therapy, or radiation safety. The work is generally interesting and the pay is good.
LennoxLewis
Is there appealing work for a physicist in a hospital that doesn't involve routine scans, etc?

When I'm done with my study, i'll have completed two additional government courses that officially allow one to not only work with, but operate a laboratory containing radioactive sources.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean work as a medical physicist?

There's a lot of work available if you're qualified, and the further you go, the less routine it becomes. Technologists and therapists handle the routine scans (CT, MRI, PET, ultrasound, SPECT, etc.) and radiation therapies. Physicists are involved at the level of calibration, treatment planning, QA program maintenance and design, radiation protection, systems support, program evaluation, general problem solving and consultation, and most importantly research.

Choppy said:
Do you mean work as a medical physicist?

There's a lot of work available if you're qualified, and the further you go, the less routine it becomes. Technologists and therapists handle the routine scans (CT, MRI, PET, ultrasound, SPECT, etc.) and radiation therapies. Physicists are involved at the level of calibration, treatment planning, QA program maintenance and design, radiation protection, systems support, program evaluation, general problem solving and consultation, and most importantly research.

Sounds good. I mean any physics-related job actually. The reason I'm asking is because i live in a city where i'd like to stay, but might not be able to find a job after i complete my study. There is, however, a big academic hospital, which might provide something.

Do you know how well those kind of jobs pay and if it's a decent foundation to make a career on?

Medical physics generally requires a graduate degree in the field and a further two years of clinical training (residency), so it isn't really the kind of thing you can just walk into with a general physics background (although that's not to say that no one does this, just it just isn't that common anymore).

Many radiation therapy hospitals will hire "physics techs" to do the routine QA work.

There's also radiation safety officer positions that are usually filled by physicists.

Related to Physicist (master degree) working in a large city's hospital?

1. What is a physicist's role in a hospital setting?

A physicist with a master's degree working in a large city's hospital may have a wide range of responsibilities. Some common roles include managing medical equipment, conducting research, and ensuring the safety and accuracy of radiation therapy treatments.

2. How does a physicist contribute to patient care in a hospital?

Physicists play a crucial role in patient care by ensuring the proper functioning and calibration of medical equipment, such as MRI machines and radiation therapy devices. They also work closely with medical staff to develop and implement treatment plans for patients.

3. What skills does a physicist need to work in a hospital?

A physicist working in a hospital should possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a thorough understanding of medical physics and radiation safety. Excellent communication and teamwork skills are also essential for collaborating with medical staff and patients.

4. How does a physicist's work impact the hospital and its patients?

The work of a physicist in a hospital has a significant impact on both the hospital and its patients. By ensuring the proper functioning of medical equipment and developing safe and effective treatment plans, physicists contribute to the overall quality of patient care and outcomes.

5. What is the difference between a physicist and a medical physicist?

A physicist working in a hospital may have a general role, focusing on various aspects of medical physics. In contrast, a medical physicist typically has specialized training and certifications in specific areas, such as diagnostic imaging, radiation therapy, or nuclear medicine.