Physics Education Research Postdoc

In summary, the conversation involves a person who is completing their PhD in theoretical cosmology and is considering pursuing a career in Physics Education Research. They have experience in teaching and STEM education, as well as actual physics research. They are wondering about the marketability of a postdoc position in this field and if there are many opportunities available. The group also discusses the funding for such positions and the backgrounds of those involved in physics education research.
Cluelessluke
Hello all!

I'm getting my PhD in theoretical cosmology in August and I'm trying to figure out the intersection between what I WANT to do and what I CAN do.

Does anyone know much about Physics Education Research? I find education fascinating and I'm seriously considering applying to some great high school physics teacher positions.

However, I don't want to jump head first into that realm without first considering other options.

How marketable would I be in applying for a Physics Education Research postdoc position? I'm not sure if I have a TRUE relevant background for such research but notable things I've done are...

Founded "Science Club" - An after school program to get middle schoolers to "have fun with science".
TAed physics Labs
Tutored physics students
STEMM instructor at a local private high school
Actual physics research (to get my PhD)

Does anyone have a gauge if I'd have a shot at getting a postdoc in a physics education research department?

Thanks so much for your time!

Luke

Physics news on Phys.org
Cluelessluke said:
a postdoc in a physics education research department?
Slave labor for public schools? Somebody will snap you up in a NY minute. Are you prepared to do PC physics?

In my (albeit limited) experience with physics education research, it seems that most people involved in it have branched into it from specializing in other areas. A friend of mine, for example, has a teaching-focussed position at a smaller liberal arts college in the US, but has contributed to research on the impact of gender in physics classrooms. I think many others tackle physics education problems that arise as they teach.

Are there many people with grant money that can fund a post-doctoral position physics education research? I suspect such positions are very limited if they exist at all.

Related to Physics Education Research Postdoc

What is a Physics Education Research Postdoc?

A Physics Education Research Postdoc is a postdoctoral position in the field of physics education research. It involves conducting research on how students learn physics and developing effective teaching strategies and materials.

What qualifications do I need for a Physics Education Research Postdoc?

To be eligible for a Physics Education Research Postdoc, you typically need a PhD in physics, physics education, or a related field. You should also have experience conducting research and teaching at the undergraduate or graduate level.

What kind of research is conducted in a Physics Education Research Postdoc?

In a Physics Education Research Postdoc, research is typically focused on understanding how students learn physics concepts and how to improve teaching methods and materials. This may involve conducting experiments, analyzing data, and developing new teaching strategies.

What are the job prospects for a Physics Education Research Postdoc?

There is a growing demand for Physics Education Research Postdocs in both academia and industry. Many universities and colleges are now incorporating physics education research into their curriculum, and companies are also seeking individuals with expertise in this field to help improve their training programs.

What skills and experience can I gain from a Physics Education Research Postdoc?

A Physics Education Research Postdoc can provide valuable skills and experience, including research design and data analysis, teaching and mentoring experience, and the ability to effectively communicate complex scientific concepts to a variety of audiences. It can also serve as a stepping stone to a career in academia or science education.