Physics graduate in need of career advice

In summary, Israel is a graduate of California State University Stanislaus with a B.A. in physics. He has substitute taught in K-12 but is now looking to get into electrical engineering. He is interested in E&M and digital/analog circuits and is seeking career advice or job leads. The conversation suggests that Israel may need further education in electrical engineering to be competitive in the job market.
Imurillo
Hello, my name is Israel and I have a B.A. in physics from California State University Stanislaus. I graduated in 2011 in the worst economy ever and in the worst part of the U.S. to be hit by the great recession. I have substitute taught in every subject in K-12, but I am looking to get into the field in electrical engineering. I have an interest in E&M and digital and analog circuits. Any career advice or lead on a job would most appreciated.
Israel

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Israel.

I advise going to school for electrical engineering. A MS or a BS, depending on your background and your local university's requirements.

Assuming you have a similar basic knowledge of circuits that all physics grads have, I don't think a company would be very willing to take the time to train you up to the EE BS level when they can just hire a real EE BS. But maybe you have some experience and skills beyond the basics. What is your experience with circuits and did you do research as an undergraduate?

Related to Physics graduate in need of career advice

1. What career options are available for a physics graduate?

As a physics graduate, you have a wide range of career options to choose from. You can pursue a career in research and development, education, engineering, data analysis, or even finance. With a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills, you can excel in various fields.

2. How can I find job opportunities as a physics graduate?

There are many ways to find job opportunities as a physics graduate. You can search for job postings on online job portals, attend career fairs, network with professionals in your field, or use your university's career services. It's also helpful to reach out to alumni and professors for potential job leads.

3. Is a graduate degree necessary for a successful career in physics?

While a graduate degree can open up more opportunities and lead to higher positions and salaries, it is not necessary for a successful career in physics. Many industries value the problem-solving and analytical skills that physics graduates possess, and there are plenty of job opportunities available for those with a bachelor's degree.

4. How do I decide which career path is right for me as a physics graduate?

It's essential to consider your interests, skills, and values when deciding on a career path as a physics graduate. Research different industries and job roles to see which align with your goals and interests. You can also gain experience through internships or part-time jobs to get a better understanding of different career options.

5. What skills do I need to succeed in the job market as a physics graduate?

In addition to technical skills in physics, employers also value strong communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. It's also crucial to have a strong work ethic, adaptability, and the ability to work in a team. Continuously learning and staying updated on industry trends can also make you stand out in the job market as a physics graduate.