Physics Ph.D. Grad wanting to return to Aerospace Engineering

In summary, the individual has a Physics Ph.D. and an Aerospace Engineering master's degree but wants to pursue a career in Aerospace Engineering. However, they have had little success in obtaining a position in this industry despite trying various methods such as applying online and reaching out to university labs, national laboratories, and NASA. They ask for advice on improving their job search and are advised to network and treat job searching like a project, using all available resources and not accepting closed doors.
Phanixis
I recently received a Physics Ph.D. but I had previously studied and earned an Aerospace Engineering masters degree. After spending several years earning my Ph.D. I have decided I would much rather practice Aerospace Engineering professionally. Unfortunately, I have had little success in obtaining an Aerospace Engineering position. University labs never seem to have money to hire Aerospace postdocs, the online applications that I fill out for industry positions never even result in anything more than an automated response, and it is exceedingly difficult to get a hold of anyone in a national laboratory or NASA much less apply for a job in these institutions.

Is there a better way to apply for jobs within this industry? For physics postdoc careers, and can search through a range of available postdoc positions on the Physics Today website. Is there an Aerospace related organization that host a website filled with Aerospace postdocs? I tried AIAA, but they had a terribly limited range of Aerospace positions.

I really need to know if I am doing something wrong or if I can improve my career search for Aerospace engineering jobs. Any advice in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Network, network, network. The online job searches are completely useless. Who do you know? Ask them for contacts. Keep a detailed record of all your contacts, and use those contacts to find more contacts, etc. Start with your Aerospace Engineering professors.

A good plan. Unfortunately, most of my Aerospace Engineering professors I haven't seen in years, since I changed Universities after earning my M.S. in Aerospace Engineering. I have taken a few A.E. courses while earning my physics Ph.D., and I am in the process of looking them up, but they are few and far between.

I am also looking into clubs and social organizations for networking. Unfortunately I got kicked from my University's chapter of the AIAA about a year back, but perhaps I might be able to network through ASME or SEDS, or just start signing up with the professional chapters.

Phanixis said:
A good plan. Unfortunately, most of my Aerospace Engineering professors I haven't seen in years, since I changed Universities after earning my M.S. in Aerospace Engineering. I have taken a few A.E. courses while earning my physics Ph.D., and I am in the process of looking them up, but they are few and far between.

I am also looking into clubs and social organizations for networking. Unfortunately I got kicked from my University's chapter of the AIAA about a year back, but perhaps I might be able to network through ASME or SEDS, or just start signing up with the professional chapters.

Right. The important thing is, however small you start, you start.

Imagine that you had a son, and he needed some medicine or he would die, and the hospital at which your son is in bed doesn't have it. What would you do? You would employ all (legal) measures to get it! You'd call vendors until you found one that had it and could get it to you in time. Then you'd order it from them. But you wouldn't stop there! You would find another vendor and have a backup plan in case the first vendor didn't pan out. You would push, push, push until you got the medicine.

This is what project management (I'm not talking about people management!) is like. Think of getting a job as a project. You go all out. You call your contacts. You follow through every single time, right when you say you're going to follow through. You don't accept closed doors - you keep calling around in a company until a door opens. Getting a job ... is a full-time job.

Best of luck to you!

Hello, congratulations on earning your Ph.D. in Physics and for your interest in returning to Aerospace Engineering. I understand your frustration with the difficulties in obtaining an Aerospace Engineering position after spending several years earning your Ph.D. There are a few things you can do to improve your chances and make your job search more efficient.

Firstly, networking is key in any industry, including Aerospace Engineering. Reach out to your former colleagues and professors from your Aerospace Engineering masters program and see if they have any connections or recommendations for job opportunities. Attend industry conferences and events to meet professionals and make connections.

Additionally, consider reaching out directly to companies or organizations that you are interested in working for. This approach may be more effective than solely relying on online applications. You can also consider reaching out to recruiters who specialize in Aerospace Engineering.

In terms of job search resources, there are a few options you can explore. For postdoc positions, you can check the Physics Today website as well as websites of specific universities and research institutions. For Aerospace Engineering positions, you can try the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) website, as well as job search engines such as Indeed, Glassdoor, and LinkedIn.

Lastly, make sure your resume and cover letter are tailored to the specific job you are applying for and highlight your relevant skills and experience in Aerospace Engineering. It may also be helpful to reach out to professionals in the industry and ask for feedback on your application materials.

In summary, networking, direct outreach, and utilizing a variety of job search resources can greatly improve your chances of obtaining an Aerospace Engineering position. I wish you the best of luck in your job search and in your future career in Aerospace Engineering.

Related to Physics Ph.D. Grad wanting to return to Aerospace Engineering

1. What made you decide to return to aerospace engineering after earning a Ph.D. in physics?

After completing my Ph.D. in physics, I wanted to further apply my knowledge and skills in a practical and tangible way. Aerospace engineering combines my passion for physics with my interest in the engineering field, making it the perfect fit for me.

2. How do you plan to transition from a focus on physics to a focus on aerospace engineering?

I plan to take relevant courses and attend workshops to update my knowledge and skills in aerospace engineering. I also plan to network with professionals in the field and gain hands-on experience through internships or research projects.

3. What transferable skills from your physics Ph.D. will be beneficial in your pursuit of aerospace engineering?

My strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as my ability to think critically and creatively, are highly transferable to the field of aerospace engineering. Additionally, my experience with data analysis and modeling will be valuable in designing and testing aerospace systems.

4. Are there any specific areas of aerospace engineering that you are interested in pursuing?

I am particularly interested in propulsion systems and aerodynamics. I find the science and engineering behind how objects move through the air and space to be fascinating and challenging.

5. How do you see your background in physics complementing your future work in aerospace engineering?

Physics provides a strong foundation for understanding the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy. This knowledge will be essential in solving complex problems and designing innovative solutions in aerospace engineering.