Planck Mission and M-Theory Cosmology

In summary, the Planck CMB results are currently scheduled to be released in a little under two years. Understanding the systematic and statistical errors is a lot of work. Chalnoth,
dm4b
A ways back, I seem to remember reading on the Planck Mission page that it's observations of the CMB could help foster support for M-theory cosmology and weaken support for Inflation, or vice-versa.

I thought it had something to do with detection of Non-Gaussianity in the CMB.

I could not find what I was looking for on the Planck page again.

Am I remembering this at all correctly and, if so, does anybody know what Planck found?

Thanks!
dm4b

Space news on Phys.org
dm4b said:
A ways back, I seem to remember reading on the Planck Mission page that it's observations of the CMB could help foster support for M-theory cosmology and weaken support for Inflation, or vice-versa.

I thought it had something to do with detection of Non-Gaussianity in the CMB.

I could not find what I was looking for on the Planck page again.
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. I am unaware of any way in which Planck will test M-theory, but non-Gaussianity is one thing that people are looking very hard for.

dm4b said:
Am I remembering this at all correctly and, if so, does anybody know what Planck found?
The Planck CMB results are currently scheduled to be released in a little under two years. Basically, understanding the systematic and statistical errors is a lot of work.

Chalnoth,

I wasn't sure what I was referring to either ;-)

But, I remembered that I did read about some of this in the Planck Blue Book:

http://www.rssd.esa.int/SA/PLANCK/docs/Bluebook-ESA-SCI(2005)1_V2.pdf

On Page 55, they start to discuss brane inflation. I haven't had time to read all of it yet, but they do appear to mention how the CMB can be effected differently than from regular inflationary models.

In the end, I don't think anything they find is supposed to actually "prove" M-Theory cosmoslogy and brane inflation - just provide some support.

dm4b said:
Chalnoth,

I wasn't sure what I was referring to either ;-)

But, I remembered that I did read about some of this in the Planck Blue Book:

http://www.rssd.esa.int/SA/PLANCK/docs/Bluebook-ESA-SCI(2005)1_V2.pdf

On Page 55, they start to discuss brane inflation. I haven't had time to read all of it yet, but they do appear to mention how the CMB can be effected differently than from regular inflationary models.

In the end, I don't think anything they find is supposed to actually "prove" M-Theory cosmoslogy and brane inflation - just provide some support.
Right. Planck is likely to narrow the model space somewhat. It should basically be the final word on CMB temperature anisotropies, it should provide an unprecedented measurement of the E-mode polarization, and it may, if we are very lucky, provide the first measurement of B-mode polarization (by lucky I mean that the nature of the universe would have to be just right to produce enough B-mode polarization for Planck to be able to see it).

Thanks Chalnoth!

Boy, another two years! Seems like I am waiting in anticipation for too many exciting results - LHC and the Higgs, LIGO and Gravitational waves, Planck and the CMB ..

Wish these guys would hurry up! :)

And to add to Chalnoth's list of important finds, it will detect the presence of non-Gaussianities (NGs). It is perhaps this observable that most sharply distinguishes brane/string inspired models of inflation from others. Dirac-Borne-Infeld (DBI) inflation is a brane inflation model that predicts large amounts of a special kind of NG, so-called 'equilateral' NG, typically with a magnitude [itex]f^{\rm equil}_{NL} \sim \mathcal{O}(10) - \mathcal{O}(100)[/itex]. Planck is expected to have a sensitivity of [itex]f^{\rm equil}_{NL} \sim 20[/itex] or so. NGs are also vital for distinguishing between single and multifield inflation models, like the curvaton. Here the NGs are of a distinctly different form, called 'local' NGs. Planck will do a better job of seeing these -- [itex]f_{NL}^{\rm local} \sim 5[/itex]. These are not exclusively related to string inspired models, but local NGs would tell us that all is not right with the canonical single field inflation paradigm.

Also, it's interesting to note that most string/brane inspired inflation models have a difficult time generating large B-modes (gravitational waves). A detection of a large B-mode signal in the CMB would be difficult for string/brane inflation to wiggle out of, although, as with any theory that is suitably vaguely defined, there are ways.

Related to Planck Mission and M-Theory Cosmology

What is the Planck Mission?

The Planck Mission, also known as the Planck Satellite, is a European Space Agency mission launched in 2009 with the goal of studying the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) in order to gain a better understanding of the early universe.

How is the Planck Mission related to M-Theory Cosmology?

The Planck Mission is closely related to M-Theory Cosmology because it provides important data and observations that can help test and refine this theoretical framework. M-Theory is a proposed theory that combines different versions of string theory and attempts to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.

What have been the major findings of the Planck Mission in relation to M-Theory Cosmology?

Some of the major findings of the Planck Mission include the confirmation of the Big Bang theory, the discovery of new data about inflation and dark matter, and evidence that supports the concept of a multiverse (which is a key aspect of M-Theory).

What is the significance of the Planck Mission for cosmology and physics?

The Planck Mission has significantly advanced our understanding of the early universe and provided valuable insights into the fundamental principles of cosmology and physics. Its findings have helped shape and refine many theories, including M-Theory, and have opened up new avenues for future research and discoveries.

What are some future implications of the Planck Mission and M-Theory Cosmology?

The Planck Mission and M-Theory Cosmology have significant implications for future research and developments in the field of cosmology and physics. Some potential future implications include further understanding of the origins of the universe, potential new discoveries about the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and the possibility of testing and refining M-Theory itself through future observations and experiments.