Planck satellite, gravitational waves

In summary, the Planck satellite has not detected any gravitational waves yet. However, if they are discovered, they may be seen as the first time that gravitational waves were ever emitted in our universe.
g.lemaitre
Has the Planck satellite observed any gravitational waves yet? I'm pretty sure that gravitational waves were formed when gravity split from the other forces at 10^-43 seconds but I could be wrong. Anyhow, if we do detect them, will we be looking at the first Planck time in our universe's history?

Here's a quote from Peter Woit that leads me to believe this:

Unlike photons, such gravitational waves would not be scattered by a charged plasma, so if their effects are seen, one potentially would have a window into the very early universe, possibly even into the conjectured phase of exponential expansion predicted by inflationary cosmological models.

Space news on Phys.org
One idea being kicked around is that the imprint of gravitational waves might be seen on the CMB. Cosmic Microwave Background. Hugely enlarged by the expansion that has occurred since the CMB light was emitted.

There are several dozen papers written about this. It gets studied and discussed a lot.

Gravity waves would have caused DENSITY FLUCTUATIONS in the hot gas whose light we see as CMB.
These density fluctuations (large and small depending on the mix of gravity wavelengths) would
result in very slight TEMPERATURE FLUCTUATIONS.
The waves' imprint would be mapped by mapping both the slight temperature variation and the POLARIZATION of the light.

So by making very detailed maps of the CMB there is a chance to see what the mix of gravity wave was in early universe.

But I can't say how far back. I can't say an exact figure like 10-43 seconds.
First let us see what is in the Planck skymaps and then let us talk about when the fluctuations originated.

the main job of Planck is to map the CMB more finely than the earlier space missions (COBE, WMAP) were able to.

Last edited:
g.lemaitre said:
Has the Planck satellite observed any gravitational waves yet? I'm pretty sure that gravitational waves were formed when gravity split from the other forces at 10^-43 seconds but I could be wrong. Anyhow, if we do detect them, will we be looking at the first Planck time in our universe's history?

Here's a quote from Peter Woit that leads me to believe this:

Planck will release its cosmology data most likely in Jan 2013. So if this discovery is made it won't be out to the public until then.
I have spoken to some people on Planck and they don't rate its chances of doing this, most likely it will take a mission like this:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.2181

However we can always hope for a pleasant surprise from Planck

At very least, Planck should resolve some of the goofy issues derived from the WMAP data. It would be nice if we could tease out more polarization data, but, that may be too optimistic. I'm unreasonably confident it will provide us with surprises - which probably means significant delays in public release.

On the FQXI podcast there was an interview with one of the cosmologists compiling data for release and she said Jan 2013, but of course that can change. It has definitley finsihed its data collection mission.

skydivephil said:
Planck will release its cosmology data most likely in Jan 2013. So if this discovery is made it won't be out to the public until then.
I have spoken to some people on Planck and they don't rate its chances of doing this, most likely it will take a mission like this:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.2181

However we can always hope for a pleasant surprise from Planck
Unfortunately I believe the COrE proposal was scrapped. But yes, we would have to be very, very lucky to see the B-mode polarization (the part that is mostly produced by gravity waves) with Planck. The main problem is that theoretically, it is entirely conceivable for the B-mode level to be ten or a hundred times smaller than Planck could ever detect.

skydivephil said:
On the FQXI podcast there was an interview with one of the cosmologists compiling data for release and she said Jan 2013, but of course that can change. It has definitley finsihed its data collection mission.
Actually, while the coolant ran out for HFI (high-frequency instrument) earlier this year, LFI (low-frequency instrument) continues to take data:
http://discoverycenter.nbi.ku.dk/news/2012/plancklfi/

I didnt know COre was scrapped , any link that confirms that? I guess in the current funding eviroment it wasnt very likely anyway. Do you think any ground based experimetns have much of a chance? It seems a dedicated space based mission could be a decade or more away.

I shoudl have said its finsihed its primary mission sorry

skydivephil said:
I didnt know COre was scrapped , any link that confirms that? I guess in the current funding eviroment it wasnt very likely anyway.
The COrE website is here:
http://www.core-mission.org/index.php

...where they mention that their satellite was a proposal for ESA Cosmic Vision 2015-2025. The candidate missions for that have now been selected, and don't include COrE:
http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/index.cfm?fobjectid=49478

Edit: I should mention that at some point, I do expect we will see something like COrE, at least in terms of capability. But my guess is that the motivation for something like this will become much stronger if B-waves are detected via ground-based or balloon-based experiments, which are collecting better and better data all the time.

Related to Planck satellite, gravitational waves

1. What is the Planck satellite and what is its purpose?

The Planck satellite is a space observatory launched by the European Space Agency in 2009. Its main purpose is to study the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. It also aims to map the entire sky with high precision to provide insights into the structure and evolution of the universe.

2. What are gravitational waves and how are they detected by the Planck satellite?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects. The Planck satellite is not specifically designed to detect gravitational waves, but it can indirectly detect their effects by measuring tiny fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background radiation. These fluctuations can be caused by gravitational waves passing through the universe.

3. What have we learned about the universe from the Planck satellite's observations?

The Planck satellite has provided scientists with a wealth of information about the universe, such as the precise age, composition, and geometry of the universe. It has also confirmed the existence of dark matter and dark energy, and provided insights into the early stages of the universe's evolution and the formation of galaxies.

4. How does the Planck satellite differ from other space observatories?

The Planck satellite differs from other space observatories in several ways. It has a wider range of wavelengths that it can observe, from microwave to infrared, compared to other telescopes that are limited to specific wavelengths. It also has a much higher resolution, allowing it to capture more detailed images of the universe. Additionally, it has a longer operational lifetime, with a planned mission of 15 months compared to other telescopes that typically have a lifespan of a few years.

5. What are the future plans for the Planck satellite and its research?

The Planck satellite has completed its primary mission in 2013 and is now in its extended phase, continuing to collect data and analyze the cosmic microwave background radiation. The data collected by the satellite will continue to be analyzed by scientists in the coming years, providing further insights into the universe's structure and evolution. The satellite will eventually be decommissioned, but its legacy will continue to shape our understanding of the universe for years to come.