Please check this particular solution excercise

In summary, the purpose of the "Please check this particular solution exercise" is to ensure the accuracy and effectiveness of the provided solution. This exercise contributes to scientific research by providing a systematic approach to verifying findings and building upon existing knowledge. The solution exercise should include a clear problem description, step-by-step solution process, and explanations for the correctness of the solution. To ensure accuracy, it is important to double-check calculations and use reliable sources. If the solution does not match the expected result, thorough review and seeking feedback can help identify and resolve any errors.
ognik
Given $y'' + 3y'-4y= sin \omega t $, I used an ansatz of $y_p = A sin \omega t + B cos \omega t$

$\therefore y' = A \omega cos \omega t -B \omega sin \omega t, y'' = -A \omega^2 sin \omega t - B \omega^2 cos \omega t $

Substituting and equating coefficients, I get $ -A \omega^2 - 3B \omega - 4A = 1 (a), -B \omega^2 +3A \omega -4B = 0 (b)$

From (b) $A = \frac{B \omega^2 + 4B}{3\omega} $, substituting this into (a) gives $B = \frac{3}{35 \omega - \omega^3} $

I'd appreciate if someone could check this please?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to W|A, the particular solution is:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{\omega^2+4}{\left(\omega^2+1\right)\left(\omega^2+16\right)}\sin(\omega t)-\frac{3\omega}{\left(\omega^2+1\right)\left(\omega^2+16\right)}\cos(\omega t)\)

You have assumed the correct form for the particular solution:

\(\displaystyle y_p(t)=A\sin(\omega t)+B\cos(\omega t)\)

And so we compute:

\(\displaystyle y_p'(t)=A\omega\cos(\omega t)-B\omega\sin(\omega t)\)

\(\displaystyle y_p''(t)=-A\omega^2\sin(\omega t)-B\omega^2\cos(\omega t)\)

Substituting for $y_p$ into the given ODE, and appropriately arranging, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \left(-A\omega^2-3B\omega-4A\right)\sin(\omega t)+\left(-B\omega^2+3A\omega-4B\right)\cos(\omega t)=1\cdot\sin(\omega t)+0\cdot\cos(\omega t)\)

Equating coefficients, we obtain the system:

\(\displaystyle A\omega^2+3B\omega+4A=-1\)

\(\displaystyle B\omega^2-3A\omega+4B=0\)

Solving the first equation for $A$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle A=-\frac{1+3B\omega}{\omega^2+4}\)

Substituting into the second, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle B\omega^2+3\frac{1+3B\omega}{\omega^2+4}\omega+4B=0\)

\(\displaystyle B\omega^2\left(\omega^2+4\right)+3\omega(1+3B\omega)+4B\left(\omega^2+4\right)=0\)

\(\displaystyle B\omega^4+17B\omega^2+16B=-3\omega\)

\(\displaystyle B\left(\omega^2+1\right)\left(\omega^2+16\right)=-3\omega\)

\(\displaystyle B=-\frac{3\omega}{\left(\omega^2+1\right)\left(\omega^2+16\right)}\)

And so we then obtain:

\(\displaystyle A=-\frac{1+3\left(-\dfrac{3\omega}{\left(\omega^2+1\right)\left(\omega^2+16\right)}\right)\omega}{\omega^2+4}\)

\(\displaystyle A=-\frac{\left(\omega^2+1\right)\left(\omega^2+16\right)-9\omega^2}{\left(\omega^2+4\right)\left(\omega^2+1\right)\left(\omega^2+16\right)}=-\frac{\left(\omega^2+4\right)^2}{\left(\omega^2+4\right)\left(\omega^2+1\right)\left(\omega^2+16\right)}=-\frac{\omega^2+4}{\left(\omega^2+1\right)\left(\omega^2+16\right)}\)

And so we find we agree with W|A, which is generally a good thing. :)

MarkFL said:
And so we find we agree with W|A, which is generally a good thing. :)

Thanks Mark, found my error.

What does W|A mean please?

ognik said:
Thanks Mark, found my error.

What does W|A mean please?

It is an abbreviation for Wolfram Alpha, a free online CAS that I use to check my results:

W|A y''+3y'-4y=sin(a*t)

:)

Related to Please check this particular solution excercise

1. What is the purpose of "Please check this particular solution exercise"?

The purpose of this exercise is to ensure that the solution provided is correct and meets the desired criteria. It allows for further analysis and evaluation of the solution to determine its effectiveness.

2. How does this exercise contribute to scientific research?

This exercise contributes to scientific research by providing a way to validate and verify findings or solutions. It allows for a systematic approach to testing and evaluating hypotheses and helps to build upon existing knowledge.

3. What should be included in the solution exercise?

The solution exercise should include a clear description of the problem, a step-by-step solution process, and a detailed explanation of why the solution is correct. It should also include any assumptions or limitations made during the solution process.

4. How can I make sure my solution is accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to double-check all calculations and use reliable sources or methods. It can also be helpful to have someone else review the solution to catch any potential errors or provide feedback.

5. What should I do if my solution does not match the expected result?

If your solution does not match the expected result, it is important to carefully review the steps and calculations to identify any errors. It can also be beneficial to seek feedback or assistance from a colleague or supervisor to help troubleshoot the issue.