Please help me in finding this relative molecular weight

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding calculating the relative molecular weight of solute A in a 5% urea solution that is isotonics with 0.877% of Solute A. The question has two components: finding the molarity of the urea solution and using that information to estimate the molecular weight of solute A due to the isotonic nature of the solution.
shaiqbashir
Hi Guys!

my question goes like this

a 5% solution of urea is isotonics with 0.877% of Solute A. Calculate the relative molecular weight of solute A.

now my dear friend, i know its a very simple question but unfortunately, just can't getting any interpretation. I know isotonics sol means having same no. of moles. and i know that Grahams's law of diffusion as well. Please help me so that i can understand this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question has basicly two component. First you have to find the molarity of the urea solution solution. All the information that you require are in the first 5 words of the question.

The second part requires you to estimate the molecular weight of the solute A using the molarity of the urea solution and that the solutions are isotonic. So you know the molarity of the solute solution and you know the amount of solute A in the solution. You have to calculate your way up to the molecular weight.

Sure, I can help you find the relative molecular weight of solute A in this scenario. To start, let's define some terms and equations that will be useful in solving this problem.

First, the term "solute" refers to the substance that is being dissolved in a solution. In this case, solute A is being dissolved in a 5% solution of urea.

Next, we need to use the equation for calculating the concentration of a solution, which is:

Concentration = (mass of solute / volume of solution) x 100

In this case, we are given the concentration of the urea solution (5%) and the concentration of solute A (0.877%). We can set up a proportion to find the ratio of solute A to urea in the solution:

0.877/5 = x/100

Solving for x, we get x = 17.54. This means that for every 100 parts of solution, there are 17.54 parts of solute A.

Now, let's use Graham's law of diffusion, which states that the rate of diffusion of a gas is inversely proportional to the square root of its molecular weight. Since we are dealing with a solution, we can use this law by assuming that the rate of diffusion is directly proportional to the concentration of the solute (since more solute particles will lead to a higher rate of diffusion).

We can set up another proportion to find the ratio of the molecular weight of solute A to the molecular weight of urea:

Molecular weight of solute A / Molecular weight of urea = 17.54/5

Solving for the molecular weight of solute A, we get a value of 88.7 g/mol. This is the relative molecular weight of solute A in this scenario.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Please help me in finding this relative molecular weight

1. What is relative molecular weight?

Relative molecular weight, also known as molecular mass, is the sum of the atomic weights of all the atoms in a molecule. It is a measure of the mass of a molecule relative to the mass of a standard unit, which is usually the atomic mass unit (amu).

2. Why is relative molecular weight important?

Relative molecular weight is important because it helps us determine the amount of a substance needed for a chemical reaction. It is also used in various calculations, such as determining the concentration of a solution and predicting the physical properties of a substance.

3. How do you calculate relative molecular weight?

To calculate relative molecular weight, you need to know the molecular formula of the substance. Then, multiply the atomic weight of each element in the formula by the number of atoms present and add the results together. For example, the relative molecular weight of water (H2O) would be (2 x 1.008 amu) + (1 x 15.999 amu) = 18.015 amu.

4. Can relative molecular weight be negative?

No, relative molecular weight cannot be negative. It is a positive value that represents the mass of a molecule relative to the mass of a standard unit.

5. Is relative molecular weight the same as molar mass?

Yes, relative molecular weight and molar mass are essentially the same thing. They both refer to the mass of a substance per mole of the substance. However, the term "molar mass" is more commonly used in chemistry, while "relative molecular weight" is more commonly used in biochemistry and biology.