Plotting from LaTeX: Easier than You Think

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating plots directly from LaTeX using a tex command. While it is not possible to do it automatically, some suggest using GNUplot and converting the output to LaTeX-code for inclusion in the file. A tutorial for this method can be found on a website provided by one of the speakers.
LostInSpace
Hi! Is it possible to do a plot directly from LaTeX, ie using a tex command? It would be nice to do something like \plot{x^2+y^2+z^1=1} instead of plotting it in maple, exporting it to PostScript, opening and editing in illustrator, exporting to PDF and then include it in the file...

Thanks on advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Theres no way to do it automatically. You COULD add all the points and lines one by one, but that would be a waste of time.

JMD

The way I do it (in Linux) is by plotting the whole thing in GNUplot and making the output in LaTeX-code... This way you can include it by using

\include{plot}

I have put a guide to it on my webpage

http://www.imada.sdu.dk/~jarnhus/pspdf/tutorial.ps

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Plotting from LaTeX: Easier than You Think

What is "Plotting from LaTeX: Easier than You Think" about?

"Plotting from LaTeX: Easier than You Think" is a guide that teaches scientists and researchers how to easily create high-quality plots and graphs using LaTeX, a typesetting language commonly used in scientific writing.

Why is plotting in LaTeX important for scientists?

Plotting in LaTeX allows scientists to create publication-quality plots and graphs that can be seamlessly integrated into their research papers or presentations. This not only saves time and effort, but also ensures consistency in the formatting and appearance of the plots.

Do I need any prior knowledge of LaTeX to use this guide?

No, this guide is designed for beginners and assumes no prior knowledge of LaTeX. It will provide step-by-step instructions and examples to help you easily create plots and graphs using LaTeX.

What types of plots can I create using LaTeX?

With LaTeX, you can create a wide range of plots and graphs including line plots, scatter plots, bar charts, histograms, and more. The guide will cover the basics of creating these types of plots and provide tips for customizing them to suit your needs.

Is "Plotting from LaTeX: Easier than You Think" applicable to all scientific disciplines?

Yes, the techniques and tips outlined in this guide can be applied to any scientific discipline that uses LaTeX for writing and publishing. However, some specific packages or tools may vary depending on your field of study.