Polynomial including Sigma Notation

In summary: So the only possibility for roots is between -170 and 170, and since the leading term is negative we know that 0 is not a root, so it must be between 0 and 170.
PurpleDude
Hello everyone!

I have this polynomial: $p(x) =$ \(\displaystyle 1 + \sum_{k=1}^{13}\frac{(-1)^k}{k^2}x^k\)

- I'm supposed to show that this polynomial must have at least one positive real root.

- I'm supposed to show that this polynomial has no negative real roots.

- And I'm supposed to show that if $z$ is any root of this polynomial, then $|z| < 170$

I do not know how to start this question, so any guidance on these three steps would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PurpleDude said:
Hello everyone!

I have this polynomial: $p(x) =$ \(\displaystyle 1 + \sum_{k=1}^{13}\frac{(-1)^k}{k^2}x^k\)

- I'm supposed to show that this polynomial must have at least one positive real root.

Substitute nonnegative values of x into p and see if the sign of p changes.

- I'm supposed to show that this polynomial has no negative real roots.

Check to see if there are any turning points to the left of the root you found in the first part.

An easier way to show $p$ has a positive root:

Note that $p(0) = 1 > 0$ and that the leading term is $\dfrac{-1}{169} < 0$.

As $x \to +\infty$ we have $p(x) \to -\infty$, so $p$ must cross the $x$-axis somewhere to the right of 0, by continuity.

The bound of 170 is very crude, here is a hint on how to proceed:

Show that if $|x| \geq 170$ that:

$\left|\dfrac{x^{13}}{169}\right| > |x^{12}|$

and that:

$\left|\dfrac{x^k}{k^2}\right| < \left|\dfrac{x^{12}}{13}\right|$

for each $k = 1,2,\dots,12$ (I've left one term out...why?).

Use this to prove that for such $x$, we have $|p(x)| > 0$.

Deveno said:
An easier way to show $p$ has a positive root:

Note that $p(0) = 1 > 0$ and that the leading term is $\dfrac{-1}{169} < 0$.

As $x \to +\infty$ we have $p(x) \to -\infty$, so $p$ must cross the $x$-axis somewhere to the right of 0, by continuity.

The bound of 170 is very crude, here is a hint on how to proceed:

Show that if $|x| \geq 170$ that:

$\left|\dfrac{x^{13}}{169}\right| > |x^{12}|$

and that:

$\left|\dfrac{x^k}{k^2}\right| < \left|\dfrac{x^{12}}{13}\right|$

for each $k = 1,2,\dots,12$ (I've left one term out...why?).

Use this to prove that for such $x$, we have $|p(x)| > 0$.

The parts where I was to prove the postive or negative roots made a lot of sense thank you, but can you re-explain showing that if z is any root of p(x), then |z| < 170

I haven't "explained", I've given a HINT. The idea is you're supposed to do something WITH that hint.

The basic idea is to show that for $|x| \geq 170$, that the leading term "dominates", that it's so large that it is larger than the sum of absolute values of all the other terms, and thus larger than the absolute value of the rest of the polynomial.

So if:

$\left|\dfrac{x^{13}}{169}\right| > |x^{12}| = 13\left|\dfrac{x^{12}}{13}\right|$

$\displaystyle > \sum_{k = 1}^{12} \left|\frac{(-1)^k}{k^2}x^k\right| + |1|$

$\displaystyle \geq \left|\sum_{k=1}^{12} \frac{(-1)^k}{k^2} + 1\right|$

then $|p(x)| > 0$

(this is because if:

$|a| > |b|$ then $|a + b| > 0$).

So left of -170 we are always above the x-axis, and right of 170 we are always below the x-axis.

Related to Polynomial including Sigma Notation

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and exponentiation. It can have one or more terms, with each term being a combination of a coefficient and one or more variables raised to a specific power.

2. What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation, also known as summation notation, is a way to represent a series of numbers or terms in a concise and organized manner. It uses the Greek letter sigma (Σ) to represent the sum of the terms, and the subscripts and superscripts to indicate the starting and ending values, and the pattern of the terms.

3. How is sigma notation used in polynomials?

Sigma notation is often used to represent the sum of the terms in a polynomial. Each term in the polynomial is written in the form of a coefficient multiplied by a variable raised to a power. The sigma notation then represents the summation of all these terms, with the subscripts and superscripts indicating the starting and ending values and the pattern of the terms.

4. What is the purpose of using sigma notation in polynomials?

The use of sigma notation in polynomials makes it easier to write and evaluate large polynomials, as it provides a compact and organized way to represent a series of terms. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of polynomials, particularly in areas such as calculus and statistics.

5. Are there any rules for using sigma notation in polynomials?

Yes, there are some rules to follow when using sigma notation in polynomials. These include the use of appropriate subscripts and superscripts to indicate the starting and ending values and the pattern of the terms, as well as the correct use of parentheses and mathematical operations. It is also important to remember the order of operations when evaluating the polynomial using sigma notation.