Polynomials in n indeterminates and UFDs

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary: Thanks for the link! Section 4 of the notes is extremely helpful. I'm not quite sure how the induction is set up and how exactly it proceeds, but I appreciate the help.fresh_42Thanks for the link! Section 4 of the notes is extremely helpful. I'm not quite sure how the induction is set up and how exactly it proceeds, but I appreciate the help.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In the introduction to Chapter 1 of his book "Introduction to Plane Algebraic Curves", Ernst Kunz states that the polynomial ring ##K[ X_1, X_2, \ ... \ ... \ , X_n]## over a field ##K## is a unique factorization domain ... ... but he does not prove this fact ...

Can someone demonstrate a proof of this proposition ... or point me to a text or online notes that contain a proof ...

Help will be appreciated ... ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
You can show it for one variable and proceed by induction, because ##K[X_1,X_2, \dots , X_n] = K[X_1,X_2, \dots , X_{n-1}][X_n].##
For ##K[X]## you know that you can apply the Euclidean algorithm (division) to find all irreducible factors of a polynomial.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
You can show it for one variable and proceed by induction, because ##K[X_1,X_2, \dots , X_n] = K[X_1,X_2, \dots , X_{n-1}][X_n].##
For ##K[X]## you know that you can apply the Euclidean algorithm (division) to find all irreducible factors of a polynomial.

Hmm ... yes, get the general idea ... but not quite sure how the induction is set up and how exactly it proceeds ... Thinking ...

Thanks for the help ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Hmm ... yes, get the general idea ... but not quite sure how the induction is set up and how exactly it proceeds ... Thinking ...

Thanks for the help ...

Peter
The induction step is: If a ring ##R## is UFD, so is ##R[X]##.
(See http://math.harvard.edu/~waffle/ufds2.pdf ) This brief article also contains a pretty good overview on some frequent classes of rings. I think you should read it to gain a feeling for the concepts and a pool of examples (14 pages).

Last edited by a moderator:
fresh_42 said:
The induction step is: If a ring ##R## is UFD, so is ##R[X]##.
(See http://math.harvard.edu/~waffle/ufds2.pdf ) This brief article also contains a pretty good overview on some frequent classes of rings. I think you should read it to gain a feeling for the concepts and a pool of examples (14 pages).

Thanks fresh_42 ... ... most helpful ... appreciate the help ...

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:

Related to Polynomials in n indeterminates and UFDs

What is a polynomial in n indeterminates?

A polynomial in n indeterminates is an algebraic expression with one or more variables, also known as indeterminates, raised to non-negative integer powers and multiplied by coefficients. These variables represent unknown quantities and the coefficients are constants. The degree of a polynomial is the highest power of the indeterminates in the expression.

What is a UFD?

A UFD, or unique factorization domain, is a type of commutative ring in abstract algebra where every non-zero, non-unit element can be uniquely expressed as a product of irreducible elements. This means that every element can be factored into primes in only one way.

What is the difference between a polynomial ring and a polynomial in n indeterminates?

A polynomial ring is a mathematical structure that consists of polynomials in one or more indeterminates with coefficients from a given field or ring. On the other hand, a polynomial in n indeterminates is an algebraic expression with one or more variables raised to non-negative integer powers and multiplied by coefficients. Essentially, a polynomial in n indeterminates is an element of a polynomial ring.

What is the division algorithm for polynomials?

The division algorithm for polynomials states that given two polynomials f(x) and g(x) with g(x)≠0, there exist unique polynomials q(x) and r(x) such that f(x)=q(x)g(x)+r(x), where the degree of r(x) is less than the degree of g(x). This algorithm is used to divide polynomials in order to find a quotient and remainder.

What are some practical applications of polynomials in n indeterminates and UFDs?

Polynomials in n indeterminates and UFDs have numerous practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. They are used to model real-life situations, solve optimization problems, and analyze data. They are also important in coding theory, cryptography, and error-correcting codes.