Position control for DC motor driven actuator

In summary: The elevation of the system should be accurate to within at least 0.25 degree.The elevating ball screw will be subject to changing loads once it has reached it's set position. The center of balance of the system it is supporting will be time dependent. This is why I think a closed loop is necessary, so the system can detect any changes in the set position, and make the necessary corrections.In summary, the project involves a ball-screw type linear actuator being driven by a 24V variable speed DC motor and a pinion and ring-gear being driven by another 24V DC motor. The goal is to control both motors electronically, possibly with a joystick, and have a readout of the current
opmal7
I am working on a project where I have a ball-screw type linear actuator being driven by a 24V variable speed DC motor. There is another 24V DC motor that drivers a pinion and ring-gear. The linear actuator controls the system's elevation and the ring gear controls the traverse.

I would like to be able to control both of the motors electronically, and possibly with a joystick of some sort, and also have a readout of the current elevation and traverse angles. I would also like be be able to enter a desired elevation angle (say 45 degrees), and have the system go to that elevation.

I have put together a block diagram of what I think the system will look like, but I am having trouble selecting a microcontroller and motor driver. The largest load will come from the elevating motor ( http://tinyurl.com/3hwmv6v ). This motor is pretty heavy duty, and I believe it will have ~35A continuous current, ~50A peak current, again both motors are 24V DC.

I've attached a block diagram of the system. I am looking for recommendations of how to control both motors from a single control unit. I have some basic understanding of elect0-mechanical systems, but don't have much practical experience. I will appreciate any feedback on this issue.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 696
Engineering news on Phys.org
Look up PID controllers.Here are some things that you'll need to consider. It'll be a compromise:

Does it have to reach the set position as fast as possible (rise time)?
Is it allowed to oscillate around the set position? If so, what amplitude is acceptable, and for how long (settling time)?
Is it allowed to overshoot then return?
How accurately does it need to be positioned?
What are the external forces that might disturb it?

Regarding motor controllers, you can get PWM chips and amplify the output. Being able to select your own power transistors will allow you to optimize it for your specific motors.

Unrest said:
Look up PID controllers.

Here are some things that you'll need to consider. It'll be a compromise:

Does it have to reach the set position as fast as possible (rise time)?
Is it allowed to oscillate around the set position? If so, what amplitude is acceptable, and for how long (settling time)?
Is it allowed to overshoot then return?
How accurately does it need to be positioned?
What are the external forces that might disturb it?

Regarding motor controllers, you can get PWM chips and amplify the output. Being able to select your own power transistors will allow you to optimize it for your specific motors.

Thanks for the response. I've been looking at PIC controllers for this project. I remember studying PID controllers in school. Is there any difference between a PIC and a PID, or is it basically the same thing with a different name?

To answer your questions:
I'd like to reach the set position fast (< 1s), but time required isn't extremely critical.
Oscillations around the set position should be small (< 0.25 deg) and settle in less than 1s.
A small overshoot is acceptable, but it would be better if the system could know that it is approaching the set position, and slow down in anticipation.
The elevation of the system should be accurate to within at least 0.25 degree.
The elevating ball screw will be subject to changing loads once it has reached it's set position. The center of balance of the system it is supporting will be time dependent. This is why I think a closed loop is necessary, so the system can detect any changes in the set position, and make the necessary corrections.

Here is an integrated motor controller that I was looking at:
http://www.roboteq.com/brushed-dc-motor-controllers/hdc2450-dual-150a-brushed-dc-motor-controller

I think this system would be able to control both motors, and has optical encoder input ports, as well as the ability to be programmed by computer and interfaced with joystick or R/C controller.

opmal7 said:
I remember studying PID controllers in school. Is there any difference between a PIC and a PID, or is it basically the same thing with a different name?
PIC is the brand of microcontroller? In that case they have nothing in common! It looks like the pre-built one you linked to does PID itself so that could make things very easy.

To answer your questions:
I'd like to reach the set position fast (< 1s), but time required isn't extremely critical.
Oscillations around the set position should be small (< 0.25 deg) and settle in less than 1s.

A small overshoot is acceptable, but it would be better if the system could know that it is approaching the set position, and slow down in anticipation.
Yes, PID can slow down before it get there, but disallowing oscillations will have the consequence of a slower rise time, and probably slower time to settle. However if you know that it'll always be below the set position because it never oscillates, then you can set the set position to 0.25deg further away than what you really want, and you'll only have to get within 0.5deg of it.

Related to Position control for DC motor driven actuator

1. What is position control for DC motor driven actuator?

Position control for DC motor driven actuator is a method of controlling the movement and position of a DC motor driven actuator. It involves using a feedback system to adjust the speed and direction of the motor, allowing precise control over the position of the actuator. This is commonly used in robotics, industrial automation, and other applications where precise positioning is required.

2. How does position control work for DC motor driven actuators?

Position control for DC motor driven actuators works by using a feedback system to continuously monitor the actual position of the actuator and compare it to the desired position. The controller then adjusts the motor's speed and direction to move the actuator towards the desired position. This process is repeated until the actuator reaches the desired position.

3. What are the advantages of using position control for DC motor driven actuators?

There are several advantages to using position control for DC motor driven actuators. Firstly, it allows for precise and accurate positioning, making it ideal for applications that require high precision. It also allows for smooth and controlled movements, which can extend the lifespan of the actuator. Additionally, position control can be integrated with other control systems, allowing for more complex and automated processes.

4. What are the components of a position control system for DC motor driven actuators?

A position control system for DC motor driven actuators typically consists of four main components: a position sensor, a controller, a power amplifier, and the actuator itself. The position sensor measures the actual position of the actuator and sends this information to the controller. The controller then compares this information to the desired position and sends signals to the power amplifier to adjust the motor's speed and direction. The power amplifier provides the necessary power to the motor to move the actuator.

5. Are there any limitations to using position control for DC motor driven actuators?

While position control for DC motor driven actuators offers many benefits, it also has some limitations. One limitation is that it requires a feedback system, which can add complexity and cost to the overall system. Additionally, position control may not be suitable for high-speed or high-power applications, as it may not be able to respond quickly enough to changes in position. Finally, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can affect the accuracy of the position control system.