Precisely define valence please

• Thread starter ags3927
  • Start date
In summary: This seems like a rather dangerous thing to do- a single definition/usage may not even exist, let alone be agreed to by everyone.
ags3927
So I looked up valency on chem wikis, wikipedia and a bunch of textbooks. But everywhere I looked the definitions turned out to be different. The IUPAC defines it as the number of univalent atoms or groups that can combine with or be replaced with one atom of the element under consideration. I find this confusing given that we're using the concept of valency (in the word univalent) in its definition. How is that a legitimate defintion? Can something be defined by itself? I would appreciate a precise and universal defintion of valency. And if it's impossible to define it in that manner, I'd be content with a short analysis of how to describe it conpletely, in a few sentences.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ags3927 said:
So I looked up valency on chem wikis, wikipedia and a bunch of textbooks. But everywhere I looked the definitions turned out to be different. The IUPAC defines it as the number of univalent atoms or groups that can combine with or be replaced with one atom of the element under consideration. I find this confusing given that we're using the concept of valency (in the word univalent) in its definition. How is that a legitimate defintion? Can something be defined by itself? I would appreciate a precise and universal defintion of valency. And if it's impossible to define it in that manner, I'd be content with a short analysis of how to describe it conpletely, in a few sentences.

It's basically the number of bonds an atom can form. But it is a rather rough concept. An atom can make fractional bonds and things like that. But to first approx hydrogen has valence 1, oxygen 2, nitrogen 2, carbon 4, helium zero.

Technical definitions are often an attempt to prescribe a consensus meaning for a term. This contrasts starkly with a dictionary which has the goal of describing meaning. The difference between description and prescription is clear; description describes what is, and prescription defines what should or must be. Valence is not well defined because people use it with different meaning. I suggest you avoid it. There is little likelihood that a single definition/usage will ever be agreed to. I say this because it is used both as a pedagogical tool (teaching the kiddies) and (much more rarely) as a term used to communicate between experts, and since the audiences are different, the meaning will probably remain different as well. Valence is a simple concept which attempts to simplify the quantum mechanics involved in determining (predicting) the structure of a given assembly of atoms by assigning to each atom a property (valence) and ignore all of the other atoms which it may interact with. Three questions you should ask anyone who is teaching you valence: Is it useful for both neutral atoms and atoms in compounds, and metals? Is an atom's valence dependent on temperature? Is an atom's valence dependent on pressure? Is an atom's valence dependent on WHICH atoms are surrounding it? Oh, sorry that's four.

Likes ags3927
ogg said:
Technical definitions are often an attempt to prescribe a consensus meaning for a term. This contrasts starkly with a dictionary which has the goal of describing meaning. The difference between description and prescription is clear; description describes what is, and prescription defines what should or must be. Valence is not well defined because people use it with different meaning. I suggest you avoid it. There is little likelihood that a single definition/usage will ever be agreed to. I say this because it is used both as a pedagogical tool (teaching the kiddies) and (much more rarely) as a term used to communicate between experts, and since the audiences are different, the meaning will probably remain different as well. Valence is a simple concept which attempts to simplify the quantum mechanics involved in determining (predicting) the structure of a given assembly of atoms by assigning to each atom a property (valence) and ignore all of the other atoms which it may interact with. Three questions you should ask anyone who is teaching you valence: Is it useful for both neutral atoms and atoms in compounds, and metals? Is an atom's valence dependent on temperature? Is an atom's valence dependent on pressure? Is an atom's valence dependent on WHICH atoms are surrounding it? Oh, sorry that's four.
So basically it's best to simply resort to a, shall I say, intuitive concept of valence, rather than a definitive statement? You're saying that I simply should adapt to the contextual meanings and stop trying to generalize the term?

Related to Precisely define valence please

What is valence in chemistry?

Valence is a measure of an atom's ability to form chemical bonds with other atoms. It is determined by the number of valence electrons an atom has, which are the electrons in the outermost shell of an atom.

How is valence determined?

Valence is determined by the position of an element in the periodic table. Elements in the same group, or column, have the same number of valence electrons, which is equal to the group number.

Why is valence important?

Valence is important because it determines how an atom will interact with other atoms in a chemical reaction. It also helps predict the type of chemical bonds that will form between atoms.

What are the different types of valence?

The two main types of valence are positive valence, which is the number of electrons an atom loses to form a positive ion, and negative valence, which is the number of electrons an atom gains to form a negative ion. There is also a concept of zero valence, which refers to atoms that do not form chemical bonds.

How does valence affect the properties of an element?

The valence of an element directly affects its chemical properties, such as reactivity, stability, and ability to form compounds. Elements with similar valence tend to have similar chemical properties.