Prep for Algebra Comprehensive Exam #3

In summary: I'm not sure what you're trying to say.In summary, Gauss's Lemma states that if a polynomial is reducible in a field of fractions, then it is reducible in the original field.
BSMSMSTMSPHD
3. Show that the polynomial [tex]p(x) = x^4 + 5x^2 + 3x + 2[/tex] is irreducible in [tex] \bbmath{Q} [x] [/tex].

This on has me totally stumped. I've seen many other problems on polynomial reducibility, but they are all solvable by Eisenstein, or by checking for irreducibility in a quotient ring by a proper ideal. Neither applies here.

I know that if it does reduce, then there are only two cases to check.

Case 1: [tex]p(x) = a(x)b(x)[/tex] where [tex]deg(a(x)) = 3, deg(b(x)) = 1[/tex].

This case is easy to eliminate, since it implies that [tex]p(x)[/tex] must have a root in [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]. Since the only possible choices are [tex]\pm 1, \pm 2[/tex], it is easy to check that none of these work.

So, Case 1 is impossible.

Therefore, if [tex]p(x)[/tex] is reducible, then it must reduce into two monic polynomials of degree 2.

Case 2: [tex]p(x) = a(x)b(x)[/tex] where [tex]deg(a(x)) = deg(b(x)) = 2[/tex].

Here is where I hit a dead end. I've tried my entire bag of tricks and I have nothing to show for it. Can someone get me started?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose it factors into (x^2 + ax + b)(x^2 + cx + d) over [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Multiply out, equate coefficients, and derive a contradiction.

I did that - but I did it over [tex] \mathbb{Q} [/tex] which made it impossible to find a contradiction (or at least difficult enough that I gave up). Why am I allowed to restrict my coefficients to [tex] \mathbb{Z} [/tex]?

Thanks for your quick response!

Gauss's lemma.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, Gauss's Lemma says that if R is a UFD (Z in our case) and F is its field of fractions (Q in our case), then a polynomial p(x) in R[x] (which ours is) that is reducible in F[x] is also reducible in R[x].

So I'm taking the contrapositive stance, right? If p(x) is irreducible in Z[x], then it is irreducible in Q[x].

I see here a corollary which I think I can use: Same R and F - if the g.c.d. of the coefficients of p(x) is 1 then p(x) is irreducible in R[x] if and only if it is irreducible in F[x].

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

No problem.

We can state Gauss' Lemma a little stronger than that.

Theorem: Let [tex]D[/tex] be a UFD and [tex]F[/tex] be the field of quotients of [tex]D[/tex]. Given a polynomial [tex]f(x) \in D[x][/tex]. The polynomial [tex]f(x)[/tex] factors into degrees [tex]n\mbox{ and }m[/tex] in [tex]D[x][/tex] if and only if [tex]f(x)[/tex] factors into polynomials of degrees [tex]n \mbox{ and }m[/tex] in [tex]F[x][/tex].

Since [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] is the field of quotients of [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] Gauss' Lemma applies. We can restrict our attention to the integers because they are easier to work with.

Okay, I think I've got it now. Equating [tex](x^2 + ax + b)(x^2 + cx + d)[/tex] to [tex]p(x)[/tex], we arrive at the following system of equations:

[tex]a + c = 0[/tex]

[tex]b + ac + d = 5[/tex]

[tex]ad + bc = 3[/tex]

[tex]bd = 2[/tex]

From the first equation, I know that c = -a. Substituting into the second equation and moving a few terms gives me [tex] a^2 = (b + d) - 5 [/tex]. (*)

Now, from the bottom equation, we know [tex]b, d \in \{ \pm 1, \pm 2 \} [/tex]. But, once we know b, we automatically know d. Looking back at (*) the only possible values for [tex] b + d [/tex] are -3 or 3. Both produce a contradiction, however, since [tex] a^2 = -2 [/tex] and [tex] a^2 = -8 [/tex] have no solutions in [tex] \mathbb{Z} [/tex].

mod 3 this reduces to an irreducible polynomial of degree 4. done.

mathwonk said:
mod 3 this reduces to an irreducible polynomial of degree 4. done.

I think I understand what you're saying. Since I can check for irreducibility in [tex] \mathbb{Z} [/tex] I can use the proper ideal [tex] 3 \mathbb{Z} [/tex] to show irreducibilty by Eisenstein.

There is a second part to this question that I did not post earlier. I'll post it now (I've been working on papers for the past 2 weeks...):

Show that the same polynomial does not have any roots in [tex] \mathbb{Q} (\sqrt[5]{2}).[/tex]

Is this just a matter of comparing orders of extensions? If [tex] k [/tex] is a root of the polynomial, then [tex] [ \mathbb{Q} (k) : \mathbb{Q} ] = 4[/tex] which does not divide [tex] [ \mathbb{Q} (\sqrt[5]{2}) : \mathbb{Q} ] = 5[/tex].

It seems like the answer to this question is simple, but I'm having a hard time justifying it in the right language.

Theorem: Let E be an extension field over F if [tex]\alpha[/tex] is algebraic over F and [tex]\beta \in F(\alpha)[/tex] then [tex]\deg \left<\beta, F\right> \mbox{ divides }\deg \left< \alpha , F \right>[/tex].

You define the extension E, but then never use it in your statement. I'm confused... Is my explanation correct?

BSMSMSTMSPHD said:
You define the extension E, but then never use it in your statement. I'm confused... Is my explanation correct?

The degree of k is 4 since the polynomial is irreducible over F. Now if k is in Q(2^{1/5}) the by theorem deg(k,Q) divides deg (2^{1/5},Q). But deg (2^{1/5},Q)=5 and so we have that 4 divides 5 a contradiction.

Related to Prep for Algebra Comprehensive Exam #3

1. What topics are covered on the Prep for Algebra Comprehensive Exam #3?

The Prep for Algebra Comprehensive Exam #3 covers a variety of topics including linear equations, exponents, polynomials, factoring, quadratic equations, and systems of equations.

2. How should I prepare for the exam?

To prepare for the exam, it is important to review all the topics covered in class and complete practice problems. It may also be helpful to attend review sessions or seek help from a tutor if needed.

3. Are there any specific formulas or equations I should memorize?

Yes, it is important to memorize formulas for solving linear equations, factoring quadratics, and the quadratic formula. It is also helpful to memorize the exponent rules and the Pythagorean theorem.

4. Is a calculator allowed on the exam?

It depends on the specific exam guidelines. Some exams may allow a basic calculator while others may not allow any calculators. It is important to check with your instructor or the exam guidelines beforehand.

5. How is the exam graded?

The exam is typically graded based on the number of correct answers, with each question having equal weight. Some exams may also have partial credit for partially correct answers. It is important to read and follow the instructions carefully to maximize your score.