Preparing for a Prestigious REU Program

• Thread starter chickenwing71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program Reu
In summary, the conversation is about a freshman majoring in Physics & Mathematics who got accepted into a prestigious REU program that involves engineering and programming. The person is excited but also concerned because they have no formal college programming or electronics courses, only experience from high school. They are wondering if they have enough knowledge to meet the expectations of the program and what they can do to prepare. They also discuss the possibility of focusing on one programming language and their understanding of O(n) algorithms, OOP, and constructing linked lists. They plan to reach out to the program for recommendations.
chickenwing71
I'm a freshman majoring in Physics & Mathematics (Just added a CS minor) at a small liberal arts school. I managed to get accepted into a prestigious REU program that seems to be quite heavy in engineering & programming (I'll be constructing/programming something). I'm really excited for it, but I'm also a bit concerned. I have no formal college programming or electronics courses.

I did a ton of programming in high school, and I'm relatively comfortable with C, C++, Java, and Python, and I'm learning Visual C/C++ and Visual Basic right now. I can write small console apps with file I/O and such, but that's about it right now. I took an entry level Intro to Robotics course during the January term this year, but it was extremely limited in actual applications (ie. I never actually built a robot, just programmed a premade one in C).

Is it possible that they expect my taking a Intro Robotics course (EG 1xx level) to mean that I would immediately be capable of this? I don't want to show up without the knowledge they expect me to have. If so, what would you recommend I do to make sure I'm prepared? Is there anything in particular I should research or do to make sure I'm somewhat prepared for it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot help with the engineering side of things, but here are a few questions to help with programming knowledge.

Do you know the difference between an O(n) algorithm and an O(n**2) algorithm?

Do you have a basic understanding of OOP and can you program and use interfaces?

If given a data structure containing a pointer to a integer and a pointer to another data structure, could you construct a linked list in any programming language? Could you do it if this data structure was an object. Could you do this if this data structure was a 'struct' (such as in C)?

Given a linked list of the above data structure, could you find the lowest integer? Could you order it?

Can you use Java docs, Python docs, and C/C++ tutorials to teach yourself things you did not know? For example, looking up a new module in Python documentation, looking up a new class in Java, ect.?If you know all of this and are just a freshman, you are doing great.

They won't expect you to know much as a freshman. What you can do is email whoever you'll be working with, tell them you're really excited about the opportunity, and ask if they can recommend anything for you to read to prepare for the summer. Sometimes they'll send you something, sometimes they won't, but either way they'll be impressed that you asked and happy to see you're excited about the project.

@lawtonfogle

Thanks for the reply!

It looks like I really do need to work on my programming knowledge. I tend to go back and forth between languages while trying to learn the different concepts. I went to C++ and Java so I can start using OOP (I'm working on that now), and I grabbed a python ide last week to do a couple Project Euler problems easier (easier syntax).

Maybe I should just focus on a single language and learn as much as I can before moving to another... I have a lot of trouble just sticking to one language, and find I'm always wanting to switch as soon as I know the basic syntax, and I'm always trying to teach myself 5 or 6 things at the same time. I guess I'm just too impatient. I couldn't take any courses in programming this year, but next year I'm testing out of programming 1 and going right into programming 2.

1. Yes
2. I generally understand the concept of OOP, but I'm still trying to get interfaces and inheritance down.
3. Yes (easily if it was a 'struct', but I'm still shaky on objects)
4. Yes.
5. Yes, I rely heavily on docs and tutorials already, and I'm comfortable looking up how to solve/do something.

I guess I'll keep working on programming for now. Still worried about interfacing/engineering though.

@eri

I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'll send them an email. Thanks.

Last edited:

Congratulations on being accepted into a prestigious REU program! It sounds like a great opportunity to gain hands-on experience in engineering and programming. While it is understandable to feel a bit concerned about your lack of formal college courses in programming and electronics, it seems like you have a strong foundation in those areas from your high school experience.

It is unlikely that the program expects you to have extensive knowledge in robotics or electronics at the level of an introductory course. However, it would be beneficial for you to brush up on some key concepts and skills before the program begins. This will help you feel more confident and prepared for the tasks you will be working on.

I would recommend reaching out to the program coordinators or your assigned mentor to inquire about any specific skills or knowledge they expect you to have. They may also be able to provide you with a list of recommended resources or materials to review before the program starts.

In terms of what you can do to prepare, here are a few suggestions:

1. Review the basics: It would be helpful to review basic programming concepts, such as data types, control structures, and functions. You can also brush up on your knowledge of C, C++, Java, and Python by practicing coding exercises and projects.

2. Familiarize yourself with the tools and languages: Since you will be working with programming and electronics, it would be beneficial to familiarize yourself with the specific tools and languages that will be used in the program. This could include Visual C/C++ and Visual Basic, as well as any other software or hardware that will be provided.

3. Practice with projects: You mentioned that you have experience writing small console apps with file I/O. You can continue to practice and expand your skills by working on more complex projects, such as building a simple game or creating a basic robotics program.

4. Attend workshops or seminars: If there are any workshops or seminars offered by your school or local organizations on programming or robotics, it would be beneficial to attend and learn from experts in the field.

Overall, the key is to be proactive in preparing for the program. Don't be afraid to ask questions and reach out for help if you need it. Your enthusiasm and willingness to learn will be valuable assets during the program. Best of luck!

Related to Preparing for a Prestigious REU Program

1. What is a prestigious REU program?

A prestigious REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a highly competitive and selective research program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects in various fields of science, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How can I prepare for a prestigious REU program?

To prepare for a prestigious REU program, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant coursework, and research experience. You should also develop strong letters of recommendation, a well-written personal statement, and a clear research proposal that aligns with the program's focus.

3. What are the benefits of participating in a prestigious REU program?

Participating in a prestigious REU program can provide you with valuable research skills, networking opportunities, and exposure to cutting-edge research in your field of interest. Additionally, it can enhance your graduate school applications and help you stand out in the job market.

4. How can I find a prestigious REU program?

You can find a list of NSF-funded REU programs on the NSF's website. You can also search for programs at specific universities or through professional organizations in your field. It is important to carefully review the program's requirements and research projects to ensure a good fit.

5. What should I expect during a prestigious REU program?

During a prestigious REU program, you can expect to work on a research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor and alongside other undergraduate students. You may also participate in workshops, seminars, and social activities. The program may last 8-10 weeks and typically includes a final presentation or poster session to showcase your research findings.