Preserving Milk with Household Items: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the group was given a science project to preserve bread, milk, and a mystery item using only household items for 5 days without using chemicals or external power sources. One teammate chose bread, while the speaker chose to use a coke bottle and styrofoam to create an airtight container to keep the milk preserved. They also considered using water and evaporation to keep the milk cold. The speaker also mentioned possibly creating a homemade thermos, but was unsure if it would successfully preserve the milk for 5 days.
Ronaldo95163
Cheers guys

We were given a science project to preserve the following using only household items for 5 dats...Chemicals may not be used as well as any external power source like an outlet:
Bread
Milk
and a mystery item which would be presented to us on the day.

One of our teammates already opted for the bread so I decided to go for the milk

My plan was to use a coke bottle, something like this:

coca%20cola.jpg

and cut it half way and use the cylindrical part

Then get some Styrofoam

5891679529_6957459ca9.jpg

and carve it in such a way so that I would be able to insert the half of the coke bottle I'm using into it then make a cover out of styrofoam to make an airtight as possible cover for it to prevent air and moisture from getting down into it.

Afterwards then wrap the entire thing with foil to reflect any radiant energy.

What are your thoughts on it?
Would it be able to keep the milk preserved for the given time period?

Physics news on Phys.org
why cut the bottle? it would hold the milk far better than the styrofoam and cylinder.

Use the styrofoam to surround the bottle instead.

Can you build a thermos?

Can you use water to surround the bottle?

It seems you'd need to keep the milk cold or create powdered milk...

Yes I can build the thermos...it was my idea at first. I sketchy about it because I wasn't sure if a homemade thermos would be able to keep the milk preserved for 5 days
Water can also be used to surround the bottle too..I would have to keep the water in an insulated environment to prevent it from getting warm though

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply...I haven't tried that...I went with plan A

This is how it came out:

Attachments

• IMG_20140802_052900788_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140802_052900788_HDR.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_20140802_052908435_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140802_052908435_HDR.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_20140802_052914530_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140802_052914530_HDR.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_20140802_052929451.jpg
    IMG_20140802_052929451.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_20140802_052935051.jpg
    IMG_20140802_052935051.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_20140802_052948054_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140802_052948054_HDR.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 461
not bad i'd put some added a styro/foil cap on the top too (insulation is thinner there) to make it a totally wrapped cube and then test to see how long it can keep an ice cube to ice water cold. measure via thermometer same time once a day or once every x hours and plot it out to see cooling loss.

Related to Preserving Milk with Household Items: A Scientific Approach

1. What is a "Thoughts on Science Project"?

A "Thoughts on Science Project" is a type of project where the main focus is on exploring and sharing your personal thoughts and reflections on a particular aspect of science. This can include topics such as current scientific advancements, ethical considerations in scientific research, or the role of science in society. It is a more subjective and reflective approach compared to traditional science projects.

2. How is a "Thoughts on Science Project" different from a traditional science project?

A "Thoughts on Science Project" differs from traditional science projects in that it is not focused on conducting experiments or gathering data. Instead, it involves critical thinking, analysis, and personal reflection on a specific scientific topic. It also allows for more creativity and personal expression compared to the structured format of traditional science projects.

3. What are the benefits of doing a "Thoughts on Science Project"?

One of the main benefits of a "Thoughts on Science Project" is that it encourages critical thinking and self-reflection, which are important skills for any scientist. It also allows for a deeper understanding and personal connection to the topic being explored. Additionally, this type of project can help develop communication skills as students are required to effectively convey their thoughts and ideas to others.

4. How do I choose a topic for a "Thoughts on Science Project"?

When choosing a topic for a "Thoughts on Science Project", it is important to select something that you are genuinely interested in and passionate about. This will make the project more enjoyable and meaningful for you. It can also be helpful to choose a topic that is relevant and timely, and that you have some prior knowledge or experience with.

5. Are there any specific guidelines for a "Thoughts on Science Project"?

There are no set guidelines for a "Thoughts on Science Project" as it is a more open-ended and personal project. However, it is important to clearly define your topic and purpose, use reliable sources and evidence to support your thoughts and arguments, and effectively communicate your ideas. It is also recommended to seek feedback from others and revise your project as needed.