Printing Code from Python in Latex via "minted"

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to import Python code into LaTeX using the "minted" package, but encountering an error that requires the -shell-escape flag. They tried googling for help, but couldn't find a solution. Another person suggests using a different method for including Python code in LaTeX, and the original person discovers that their issue was resolved by running the code in Terminal with the -shell-escape flag.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am trying to import code written in Python into Latex via the "minted" package. However, I am getting the error:

Package minted error: you must invoke latex with the -shell-escape flag.

I tried googling help but I can't figure it out. I'm using Python 2.7 on mac OSX sierra. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand you correctly, you want to show your Python code in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] as shown below?

I am not familiar with the minted package you mention, but if you are open to other suggestions I'll tell you what I do: When I have to include e.q. Python code in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] I use the code found here: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-optimal-way-to-include-Python-code-in-a-LaTeX-document

If you want other colors for let's say the print function, you can easily customize it to fit your needs at the start of the code. Let me know if you need any help using the code.
main-qimg-3fa6adccc1dc059422e28cadfe7ed471.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it out, but is was getting very monochromatic code. I'm quite sold on minted if I could just get the darn thing to work.

Looks like it's working fine. I just had to run it from Terminal as
$ pdflatex -shell-escape hw2
Thanks for your insight!

Likes vanhees71 and Baarken

Related to Printing Code from Python in Latex via "minted"

1. How can I print code from Python in Latex using minted?

To print code from Python in Latex using minted, you will first need to install the minted package in your Latex distribution. Then, in your Latex document, you can use the minted environment to include your Python code, using the language option to specify that it is Python code. Finally, make sure to compile your document with the -shell-escape option to allow minted to run the necessary code.

2. What is the advantage of using minted for printing code in Latex?

Minted offers several advantages for printing code in Latex. It provides syntax highlighting for a wide range of programming languages, making your code more visually appealing and easier to read. Minted also allows you to specify a specific code style or customize your own, giving you more control over the appearance of your code. Additionally, minted can automatically number your code lines, making it easier to refer to specific lines in your document.

3. Can I use minted to print code from other programming languages besides Python?

Yes, minted supports a wide range of programming languages, including C++, Java, and R. You can use the same process of installing the minted package and using the minted environment to include code from these languages in your Latex document. Make sure to specify the correct language when using the minted environment.

4. Is there a way to customize the appearance of code printed with minted?

Yes, minted offers several options for customizing the appearance of your printed code. You can specify a specific code style, change the font size and color, and even add line numbers or a frame around your code. Additionally, you can create your own custom code style if you are not satisfied with the ones provided by minted.

5. Can I include code from external files using minted?

Yes, minted allows you to include code from external files in your Latex document. You can use the \inputminted command and specify the file path and language option to include code from a separate file. This is useful if you have longer code snippets that you do not want to include directly in your Latex document.