Probability: Red ball being transfefred from bag m to n?

You are correct in thinking that this is a conditional probability problem. In this case, we are trying to find the probability of a red ball being transferred from bag M to N, given that a white ball was selected from bag N. So our denominator is the probability of selecting a white ball from bag N, which is (3/8). Our numerator is the probability of selecting a red ball from bag M and then a white ball from bag N, which is (2/7)(3/8). So our final answer is (2/7)(3/8)/(3/8) = 2/7, or approximately 0.286.
mirandab17
Bag M contains 5 white balls and 2 red balls. Bag N contains 3 white balls and 4 red balls.
a) A ball is randomly selected from Bag M and Placed in Bag N. A ball is then
randomly selected from Bag N. What is the probability that the ball selected form
Bag N is white?
b) If a white ball is selected from Bag N, what is the probability that a red ball was
transferred from Bag M to Bag N?

a) I got this answer which is right: 13/28. I got this by taking the probablity that a white ball is chosen from bag m and then that a white ball is chosen from bag n (which now has one more white ball) and then multiplying that number by the probability of choosing a red ball from bag m, but then choosing a white ball which is the same, just one more red ball to choose from.

That sounds horribly complicated.
Overall: (5/7)(4/8) + (2/7)(3/8) = 13/28

b) This is where I get confused... I know it's a conditional probability problem, so GIVEN THAT the white ball is selected from bag n (my previous answer), aka (13/28) must be on the bottom... but how do I get what's on the top? A red ball transferred from Bag M to N... so I thought it must be (2/7)(5/8)...

PLEASEHELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
mirandab17 said:
Bag M contains 5 white balls and 2 red balls. Bag N contains 3 white balls and 4 red balls.
a) A ball is randomly selected from Bag M and Placed in Bag N. A ball is then
randomly selected from Bag N. What is the probability that the ball selected form
Bag N is white?
b) If a white ball is selected from Bag N, what is the probability that a red ball was
transferred from Bag M to Bag N?

a) I got this answer which is right: 13/28. I got this by taking the probablity that a white ball is chosen from bag m and then that a white ball is chosen from bag n (which now has one more white ball) and then multiplying that number by the probability of choosing a red ball from bag m, but then choosing a white ball which is the same, just one more red ball to choose from.

That sounds horribly complicated.
Overall: (5/7)(4/8) + (2/7)(3/8) = 13/28

b) This is where I get confused... I know it's a conditional probability problem, so GIVEN THAT the white ball is selected from bag n (my previous answer), aka (13/28) must be on the bottom... but how do I get what's on the top? A red ball transferred from Bag M to N... so I thought it must be (2/7)(5/8)...

PLEASEHELP!

Let W1 = first is white, R1 = first is red, W2 = second is white. You have computed P(W2) = P(W2|W1)P(W1) + P(W2|R1)P(R1). You want P(R1|W2). This is P(R1 & W2)/P(W2), and we can write P(R1 & W2) = P(W2 & R1) = P(W2|R1) P(R1). You know P(W2|R1), P(R1) and P(W2), so you have everything you need.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Let W1 = first is white, R1 = first is red, W2 = second is white. You have computed P(W2) = P(W2|W1)P(W1) + P(W2|R1)P(R1). You want P(R1|W2). This is P(R1 & W2)/P(W2), and we can write P(R1 & W2) = P(W2 & R1) = P(W2|R1) P(R1). You know P(W2|R1), P(R1) and P(W2), so you have everything you need.

RGV

Okay... I don't understand how P(R1&W2) turned into P(W2/R1) P (R1). Why are you multiplying it?

mirandab17 said:
A red ball transferred from Bag M to N... so I thought it must be (2/7)(5/8)...

Here you are saying that a red ball was picked from bag M and a red ball from bag N.
But the question states that a white ball was picked from bag N.

But it is conditional right? So IF a white ball was picked from bag N, which is 11/21, the probability of transferring a red ball from M to N is... I'm assuming red was picked first here then... so (2/7) and then white (3/8)...?

so (2/7)(3/8) / (11/21)?

I think it's conditional. I don't know anything about probability outside of what I can deduce logically, but from what I've seen this matches that definition.

And your numerator is right now, but double check the fraction you placed in the denominator.

The denominator should be (3/7) because it's only involving bag N?

mirandab17 said:
b) This is where I get confused... I know it's a conditional probability problem, so GIVEN THAT the white ball is selected from bag n (my previous answer), aka (13/28) must be on the bottom...

You're original denominator was correct.

Related to Probability: Red ball being transfefred from bag m to n?

1. What is the probability of a red ball being transferred from bag m to n?

The probability of a red ball being transferred from bag m to n depends on the number of red balls in each bag and the total number of balls in each bag. If there are a total of 10 balls in bag m and 5 of them are red, the probability would be 5/10 or 50%. However, if there are 8 red balls out of 10 in bag n, the probability would be 8/10 or 80%.

2. How does the number of red balls in each bag affect the probability?

The number of red balls in each bag has a direct impact on the probability. The more red balls there are, the higher the probability of a red ball being transferred from bag m to n. If there are no red balls in bag m, the probability would be 0%. Conversely, if all the balls in bag m are red, the probability would be 100%.

3. Can the probability change if more red balls are added to or removed from the bags?

Yes, the probability can change if the number of red balls in the bags changes. Adding more red balls to bag m or removing them from bag n would increase the probability, while removing them from bag m or adding them to bag n would decrease the probability.

4. Is there a way to increase the probability of a red ball being transferred from bag m to n?

Yes, the probability can be increased by adding more red balls to bag m or removing them from bag n. Another way to increase the probability would be to decrease the total number of balls in each bag. However, the probability can never be greater than 100%.

5. How does the probability change if the balls are randomly transferred between the bags?

If the balls are randomly transferred between the bags, the probability would remain the same as long as the total number of balls and the number of red balls in each bag remains the same. However, if the transfer is not random and certain balls are chosen or excluded, the probability would be affected.