Project: get a sms when my electricity falls out

In summary, the student is interested in using domotica for a project and has several ideas for a solution, including using a microcontroller, temperature sensor, and GSM module to send notifications and updates to a website. They also ask for suggestions on how to connect the microcontroller to a wireless thermostat and the internet.
adriaa

Homework Statement

I am in my first year electronics/ICT but have already successfully completed several courses about electronics, microcontrollers, programming, fysics...
I have to make a project in my second semester and I am really interested in domotica, so that's why i want to do something about that.
My idea was to give a little domotica touch to a holiday house of a friend:
1. get a sms/or check on a website when the electricity falls out
2. get a sms when the temperature is to low (below 5 degrees) or check on a website the temperature of the house

My ideas of the solution:

I was thinking to put a microcontroller with temperature sensor in his living room, when the electricity falls out, a battery has to take over the microcontroller and has to send an sms.
The microcontroller is connected to a website where you can check the state of the temperaturesensor.

Homework Equations

I know he has a Theben wireless thermostat, is there a way i can connect the microcontroller directly to the thermostat so he can control the temperature from his own house?
Or can i connect the microcontroller to the boiler to archieve this? so the microcontroller takes over the thermostat function?
If the electricity is on i can connect the microcontroller to the internet so het can send the information for the website? any ideas how to do this?
If the electricy falls out i have no internet anymore so i was thinking about sending an sms with an gsm module in the microcontroller. any ideas how to do this?

The Attempt at a Solution

written in 1 en 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
.1. To detect when the electricity falls out, you can connect a power supply switch to the microcontroller. This switch is connected to the main power supply, and when the power supply is cut off, it triggers the microcontroller to send an SMS or update the website. 2. To detect the temperature, you can connect the temperature sensor to the microcontroller and program it to detect a certain temperature. When the temperature drops below a certain threshold, the microcontroller will send an SMS or update the website. 3. To connect the microcontroller to the Theben wireless thermostat, you can use a serial connection to communicate between the two devices. This means that your microcontroller can control the thermostat, and set the temperature of the house. 4. To connect the microcontroller to the internet, you can use a Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection. This will allow your microcontroller to access the internet and send the information for the website. 5. To send an SMS when the electricity is out, you will need to use a GSM module. This will allow your microcontroller to send an SMS when the power is out.

Related to Project: get a sms when my electricity falls out

1. How does the "Project: get a sms when my electricity falls out" work?

The project works by using a sensor or device that can detect when the electricity in your home goes out. This sensor sends a signal to a microcontroller, which then triggers a pre-programmed message to be sent to your phone via SMS.

2. Do I need any special equipment or tools to set up this project?

This project can be set up using a microcontroller, a sensor or device to detect power outages, and a computer or smartphone to program the microcontroller. Depending on the specific components you choose, you may also need basic electronics tools such as a soldering iron and wire cutters.

3. Can I customize the message that is sent to my phone when the power goes out?

Yes, you can customize the message to include any information you want. You can include your address, the time the power went out, or any other details you think would be helpful in the event of a power outage.

4. Is this project compatible with all types of phones?

Yes, as long as your phone has the capability to receive SMS messages, this project will work with any type of phone. You may need to have a SIM card or a data plan in order to receive the messages.

5. How reliable is this project in detecting power outages?

The reliability of this project depends on the quality of the sensor or device you choose. It is important to choose a reliable and accurate sensor to ensure that you receive timely notifications of power outages.