Proof involving central acceleration and vector products

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that N=r\times \dot { r } is a constant for a twice-differentiable curve with central acceleration, and how r lies in the plane through the origin with normal N assuming N\neq 0. The equations used include \frac { d }{ dt } N=\frac { d }{ dt } r\times \dot { r } and \dot { r } \times \dot { r } =\overrightarrow { 0 } . The author is unsure if their solution is correct.
Sho Kano

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]r:R\rightarrow { V }_{ 3 }[/itex] is a twice-differentiable curve with central acceleration, that is, [itex]\ddot { r } [/itex] is parallel with [itex]r[/itex].
a. Prove [itex]N=r\times \dot { r } [/itex] is constant
b. Assuming [itex]N\neq 0[/itex], prove that [itex]r[/itex] lies in the plane through the origin with normal [itex]N[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. [itex]\frac { d }{ dt } N=\frac { d }{ dt } r\times \dot { r } =r\times \ddot { r } +\dot { r } \times \dot { r } =\overrightarrow { 0 } [/itex] because [itex]r[/itex] is parallel with [itex]\ddot { r } [/itex]

b. [itex]\dot { r } [/itex] is in the same plane as [itex]r[/itex], then the equation of the plane through the origin is [itex]\left< x,y,z \right> \cdot r\times \dot { r } =0[/itex]. If [itex]r=\left< x,y,z \right> [/itex], then [itex]r\cdot r\times \dot { r } =r\times r\cdot \dot { r } =0[/itex] which checks out

I'm really not sure if I'm right

Physics news on Phys.org
Sho Kano said:

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]r:R\rightarrow { V }_{ 3 }[/itex] is a twice-differentiable curve with central acceleration, that is, [itex]\ddot { r } [/itex] is parallel with [itex]r[/itex].
a. Prove [itex]N=r\times \dot { r } [/itex] is constant
b. Assuming [itex]N\neq 0[/itex], prove that [itex]r[/itex] lies in the plane through the origin with normal [itex]N[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. [itex]\frac { d }{ dt } N=\frac { d }{ dt } r\times \dot { r } =r\times \ddot { r } +\dot { r } \times \dot { r } =\overrightarrow { 0 } [/itex] because [itex]r[/itex] is parallel with [itex]\ddot { r } [/itex]

b. [itex]\dot { r } [/itex] is in the same plane as [itex]r[/itex], then the equation of the plane through the origin is [itex]\left< x,y,z \right> \cdot r\times \dot { r } =0[/itex]. If [itex]r=\left< x,y,z \right> [/itex], then [itex]r\cdot r\times \dot { r } =r\times r\cdot \dot { r } =0[/itex] which checks out

I'm really not sure if I'm right

It looks correct.

LCKurtz said:
It looks correct.
Awesome, I can turn in my homework at ease now. Thanks.

Related to Proof involving central acceleration and vector products

1. What is central acceleration?

Central acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is determined by the object's speed and the radius of the circle.

2. How is central acceleration related to vector products?

The vector product, also known as the cross product, is used to calculate the direction and magnitude of central acceleration. The cross product of the velocity vector and the position vector gives the centripetal acceleration vector, which is the same as the central acceleration vector.

3. What is the formula for calculating central acceleration?

The formula for central acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the central acceleration, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. Can central acceleration be negative?

Yes, central acceleration can be negative if the object is slowing down or changing direction in its circular path. In this case, the acceleration vector would point in the opposite direction of the velocity vector.

5. How is central acceleration different from tangential acceleration?

Central acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is directed tangent to the circle. Central acceleration is responsible for changing the direction of the object's motion, while tangential acceleration is responsible for changing the speed of the object.