Proof of disk moment of inertia using area density

In summary, we learned about deriving moments of inertia using density equations and specifically discussed the example of deriving I = MR2/2 for a disk. The key concept is to understand the relationship between area and radius in order to correctly set up the integration.
scain6043

Homework Statement

Disk with radius R

σ = M/A

I = ∫ mr2

Homework Equations

Today we learned how to derive various moments of inertia via density equations (M/L, M/A, M/V). I understand all of them except on how to get MR2/2 for a disk.

The Attempt at a Solution

I = ∫mr2

σ = M/A

dM = σdA

A = πr(dr) <--- I know my problem is here and that it should be 2πr(dr). My question is why is this true? The area of a circle is πr^2 so why would an individual section have an are of 2πr(dr)?

I = σdAr2

I = ∫ σ(2πr)(r2)(dr)

I = σ(2π) ∫ r3 (dr)

∫ r3 (dr) = r4/4

Add back constants and substitute R in for r because integration is from 0 to R

I = R4/4 (σ) (2π) = R4/4 (M/A) (2π)

I = R4/4 (M/(πR2)) (2π)

I = MR2/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind I think I have it now

Related to Proof of disk moment of inertia using area density

1. What is the moment of inertia of a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a physical property that reflects the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the disk by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a disk calculated?

The moment of inertia of a disk can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the disk, and r is the radius of the disk.

3. What is area density and how does it relate to moment of inertia?

Area density is a measure of how much mass is distributed per unit of area. It is often denoted by the symbol ρ (rho) and is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its area. In the case of a disk, the area density is used to calculate the moment of inertia by multiplying it by the square of the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How can the moment of inertia of a disk be measured experimentally?

The moment of inertia of a disk can be measured experimentally by using a pendulum and measuring the period of oscillation. The moment of inertia can then be calculated using the formula I = (m * g * d^2) / (4 * π^2 * T^2), where m is the mass of the disk, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the distance between the axis of rotation and the center of mass of the disk, and T is the period of oscillation.

5. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk is affected by its mass, radius, and distribution of mass. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the larger the moment of inertia will be. Additionally, the shape of the disk can also affect the moment of inertia, with a larger radius resulting in a larger moment of inertia.