Proof of \sqrt{ab}>\frac{2ab}{a+b} for Positive and Unequal Integers

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the inequality, "√ab > 2ab/(a+b)" where a and b are positive and unequal. The conversation includes a suggested solution and a discussion about the notation used in the book's example. Some clarification is given about the use of "if...then" and the proper order of a proof. There is also a mention of disagreement about how to answer certain types of math problems on this site.
odolwa99
Can anyone help me confirm if I've solved this correctly?

Many thanks.

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\sqrt{ab}>\frac{2ab}{a+b}[/itex] if a & b are positive & unequal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if [itex](\sqrt{ab})^2>(\frac{2ab}{a+b})^2[/itex]
if [itex]ab>\frac{4a^2b^2}{(a+b)^2}[/itex]
if [itex]ab(a^2+2ab+b^2)>4a^2b^2[/itex]
if [itex]a^3b+2a^2b^2+ab^3-4a^2b^2>0[/itex]
if [itex]a^3b-2a^2b^2+ab^3>0[/itex]
if [itex](a^2b-ab^2)>0[/itex]...true

Physics news on Phys.org
odolwa99 said:
Can anyone help me confirm if I've solved this correctly?

Many thanks.

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\sqrt{ab}>\frac{2ab}{a+b}[/itex] if a & b are positive & unequal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if [itex](\sqrt{ab})^2>(\frac{2ab}{a+b})^2[/itex]
You are essentially starting off by assuming what you are to show.
odolwa99 said:
if [itex]ab>\frac{4a^2b^2}{(a+b)^2}[/itex]
if [itex]ab(a^2+2ab+b^2)>4a^2b^2[/itex]
if [itex]a^3b+2a^2b^2+ab^3-4a^2b^2>0[/itex]
Why? There's no guarantee that a2b - ab2 > 0, so you can't say with any certainty that this is true.

Also, you should not be starting each statement with "if". The hypothesis (the "if" part, the part that you assume to be true) for this problem is this:
If a > 0 and b > 0 and a ≠ b

The conclusion (and what you need to prove) is this:
Then ## \sqrt{ab}>\frac{2ab}{a+b}##

Each statement that you write should imply the truth of the statement that follows. The symbol to use is ##\Rightarrow##.

One way to do this problem is a proof by contradiction. Assume that a > 0 and b > 0 and a ≠ b, AND that ## \sqrt{ab} \leq \frac{2ab}{a+b}##

When you arrive at a contradiction (and you should), you will have proved the original statement.

I can see what you're getting at, but I've included an image of an example question from the textbook I'm using. Is the books approach wrong, or have I followed their method incorrectly?

Attachments

• math (2).JPG
    math (2).JPG
    25 KB · Views: 525
I don't like that notation either. Implies is much better.

The very last step is not right. Trying factoring out ab and then notice you have a quadratic equation that can be factored. The proposition is false if you can find *any* a,b satisfying the conditions to make the inequality untrue.

Ok, thank you for checking that.

odolwa99 said:

[itex]a^3b-2a^2b^2+ab^3\ne (a^2b-ab^2)[/itex]

Factor out ab from a3b-2a2b2+ab3 and you will get ab times a perfect square.

Regarding you textbook's example, which I think we've seen before:

attachment.php?attachmentid=52354&d=1351363974.jpg

It reminds me of the steps one might take on scratch paper to figure out how you might go about doing the actual proof. Starting with what you want to prove, you work backwards toward something(s) you know to be true.

So, for the case of the example:
Assuming a>0 and b>0,

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{a}{b}+\frac{b}{a}\ge2\ [/itex] is true if [itex]\displaystyle a^2+b^2\ge2ab\ .[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle a^2+b^2\ge2ab\ [/itex] is true if [itex]\displaystyle a^2-2ab+b^2\ge0\ .[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle a^2-2ab+b^2\ge0\ [/itex] is equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle (a-b)^2\ge0\ [/itex] which true.​

Most mathematicians would look at this proof as being written in reverse of the usual order.

IMO: The following is a more conventional order.
Assume a>0 and b>0.

[itex]\displaystyle (a-b)^2\ge0\,,\ [/itex] the square of any real number is non-negative.

Expanding the left-hand side gives us: [itex]\displaystyle a^2-2ab+b^2\ge0\ .[/itex]

Adding 2ab to both sides results in: [itex]\displaystyle a^2+b^2\ge2ab\ .[/itex]

ab>0, so dividing both sides of the inequality by ab gives the desired result, namely: [itex]\displaystyle \frac{a}{b}+\frac{b}{a}\ge2\ .[/itex]​

Thanks again, Sammy.

I was on the this site, a few weeks back, with questions about Proof by Induction, and there was a lot of disagreement then about how those questions should be answered. This book is actually meant for state exams, so I don't know if a drop in the quality of solution, compared to university level math, is a consequence of that, or just a matter of preference by the author of this particular text...?

Either way, thank you for the clarification.

The notation in the book is not incorrect; it's just not what most of us are used to seeing.

If..then is the logical statement implies.

If A then B

is the same as

A -> B

The statement is false only if A can be found to be true while B is false. This is exactly what the problem in the book is doing, based on a chain of "if A then B, if B then C,..."

I'll make note of this, too. Thanks.

Related to Proof of \sqrt{ab}>\frac{2ab}{a+b} for Positive and Unequal Integers

What are abstract inequalities?

Abstract inequalities refer to mathematical statements or expressions that compare the relative sizes or values of two quantities. These quantities can be numbers, variables, or functions.

What is the difference between abstract and concrete inequalities?

The main difference between abstract and concrete inequalities is that abstract inequalities involve variables or unknown quantities, while concrete inequalities involve specific numbers or values. Abstract inequalities are more general and can apply to a wide range of scenarios, while concrete inequalities are more specific.

What are the different types of abstract inequalities?

There are several types of abstract inequalities, including linear inequalities, quadratic inequalities, rational inequalities, and absolute value inequalities. Each type has its own rules and methods for solving.

How are abstract inequalities used in real life?

Abstract inequalities are used in many real-life situations, such as in economics, physics, and social sciences. For example, they can be used to represent the relationship between supply and demand in economics or the relationship between distance and time in physics.

What is the process for solving abstract inequalities?

The process for solving abstract inequalities involves identifying the type of inequality, isolating the variable on one side of the inequality, and determining the solution set based on the rules for that type of inequality. This process may involve graphing or algebraic manipulation.