Proofs involving prime numbers

In summary, the student was asked to prove Goldbach's Conjecture, but was given a more difficult task of proving that if every even number greater than or equal to 2 is a sum of two primes, then every odd number greater than or equal to 5, is a sum of two primes and an odd number.
eku_girl83
We didn't talk about prime numbers in my class, but several of the homework problems mention them.
For instance:
Prove that if every even natural number greater than 2 is the sum of two primes, then every odd natural number greater than 5 is the sume of three primes.

Assume that n is an even natural number and n is greater than 2.
Then n=2k, where k is an integer, and 2k is greater than 2.

But how do I define a prime number in a proof?
Any hints/help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
But how do I define a prime number in a proof?

"Let p be a prime". You needn't find a formula for it in order to define it...

eku_girl83 said:
Prove that if every even natural number greater than 2 is the sum of two primes, then every odd natural number greater than 5 is the sume of three primes.

LOL!
if u ever prove this in your class ... do let me know and i will be happy to share the million dollars with u :biggrin:

http://www.acfnewsource.org/science/math_bounties.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, she wasn't exactly asked to prove Goldbach's conjecture, but rather some kind of corollary to a Goldbach-type conjecture which you're suppose to /assume/ to be correct.

It's good that you might want to use the definition of even in proofs and know how to do it.

But let's look at the example here using sums of primes. You're asked to deduce something about writing n=p+q+r where p,q,r are primes and n is odd and greater than 5. So it's n which has a certain property that you need to prove, you need nothing about p,q,r in the proof. So what properties does n have? it's odd and greater than 5, and what do we have a hypothesis for? even numbers greater than 2, yeah? so how can we relate n to an even number greater than 2? how about n-3? is that even and greater than 2? check, so what can we conclude about n-3 by hyptothesis? and hence n, since 3 is a prime?

Muzza said:
Well, she wasn't exactly asked to prove Goldbach's conjecture, but rather some kind of corollary to a Goldbach-type conjecture which you're suppose to /assume/ to be correct.

i know ... but can't i just kid around ?
i am sure eku would be happy to see that article ...
i recall my days when i wasted hours trying to prove it before i found out that even the best in the business are in teh hunt .. that did invoke a bit of laughter ... prolly that's why life is so good ... somethings just level u with the best ... it let's u know u are not left far behind ...

duh! now see u got me writing philosophy :rolleyes:

-- AI

i know ... but can't i just kid around ?

Well, yes, but it seemed to me like you had misread the question.

i gave my elementary proofs class the following assignment: prove fermat's last theorem as follows:
assume: 1) if FLT is false, then there exists a stable elliptic curve which is not modular.
2) all stable elliptic curves are modular.

deduce that FLT is true.

notice one does not need to know the meanings of any of the technical words in this paragraph to prove the result.

your problem is a little harder. you do not need to know what a prime is but you do need to know 3 is a prime.

e.g. prove that if every even number greater than or equal to 2 is a sum of two donks, then every odd number greater than or equal to 5, is a sum of two donks and an odd number.

Last edited:

Related to Proofs involving prime numbers

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that can only be divided by 1 and itself. In other words, it has exactly two factors.

2. How do we prove that a number is prime?

There are several methods for proving that a number is prime. One common method is to use a proof by contradiction, where we assume the number is not prime and then show that this leads to a contradiction. Another method is to use the Sieve of Eratosthenes, which involves systematically eliminating non-prime numbers.

3. Can any number be expressed as a product of prime numbers?

Yes, this is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic. It states that every positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers.

4. What is the role of prime numbers in cryptography?

Prime numbers are essential in cryptography, as they are used in many encryption algorithms. This is because prime numbers have special properties that make it difficult for someone to determine the original numbers used in the encryption process.

5. Are there any notable unsolved problems involving prime numbers?

Yes, there are several open problems in mathematics related to prime numbers. One famous example is the Riemann Hypothesis, which states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the line with real part equal to 1/2. This problem has been unsolved for over 160 years.