Proper distance from the FRW metric

In summary, the FRW metric is a mathematical model used in cosmology to describe the expanding universe. It takes into account the curvature of space and allows for the calculation of proper distance between objects. The proper distance is important in understanding the evolution and structure of the universe, and it increases over time due to the expansion of the universe.
Plaetean

Homework Statement

Question:

AOMwt8B.png

Homework Equations

w77Anp8.png
[/B]

Dp=R(t)Dc where R(t) is the scale factor, Dc is the comoving distance

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I must have tried solving this starting 10 different ways now, starting with the fact that distance=integral over velocity dt, trying to integrate the metric itself with dphi=dtheta=0 and I just can't get anywhere at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that I don't really know what I'm doing. Can someone please take me through this step by step?

Related to Proper distance from the FRW metric

1. What is the FRW metric?

The Friedmann-Robertson-Walker (FRW) metric is a mathematical model used in cosmology to describe the expanding universe. It is based on the general theory of relativity and provides a way to calculate the distances between objects in the universe.

2. How is proper distance calculated from the FRW metric?

The proper distance between two objects in the universe is calculated using the FRW metric by taking into account the expansion of the universe. This means that the distance between two objects will increase over time as the universe continues to expand.

3. What is the significance of proper distance in cosmology?

The proper distance is an important concept in cosmology as it allows us to measure the distances between objects in the expanding universe. This is crucial for understanding the evolution and structure of the universe.

4. Does proper distance take into account the curvature of space?

Yes, the FRW metric takes into account the curvature of space, which is affected by the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. This curvature can affect the calculation of proper distance between objects.

5. How does the expansion of the universe affect proper distance?

The expansion of the universe causes proper distance between objects to increase over time. This is because as the universe expands, the space between objects also expands, making it appear as though the objects are moving farther away from each other.