Pros and cons of photonic and optical engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of studying photonic and optical science at the University of Arizona. The speaker expresses their interest in the subject and asks for advice on the good and bad aspects of this career. The other person, who has a degree in photonics, suggests that the individual should not limit themselves to this field and keep an open mind when selecting courses. They also mention that finding a job in this field is not difficult and they are happy with their career choice.
kevin_tee
I 'm thinking to study about photonic and optical science, I always like the property of light and I want to study at the university Arizona. I want to know what is the good and bad side of this career because I am deciding, am I choosing a right career? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best advice I can give you is that only you can tell how much you really like the topics after a couple of years into your degree. I did a degree specializes in photonics. I am very happy with what I have learned and am doing my MSc related to some laser products. In terms of the world market, finding a job in this field doesn't look too difficult, just need to get that first bit of experience to get things going.

One thing I would like to suggest though. You may know what your interest lies now but don't tunnel vision on it when selecting your courses. It may be a grass greener on the other side thing but in my second and third year I kept wondering if I will enjoy studying a bit more doing a more general physics or math degree that doesn't lock in my post grad options.

hope this helps...

Related to Pros and cons of photonic and optical engineering

1. What is the difference between photonic and optical engineering?

Photonic engineering deals with the manipulation and control of light, while optical engineering focuses on the design and development of optical systems and devices. In other words, photonic engineering is a subset of optical engineering that specifically deals with the use of light in technologies and applications.

2. What are the advantages of using photonic engineering?

Some advantages of photonic engineering include faster data transmission, higher bandwidth capacity, and the ability to integrate with other technologies such as electronics. Photonic devices also tend to be smaller, more energy-efficient, and have a longer lifespan compared to traditional electronic devices.

3. What are the potential drawbacks of photonic engineering?

One potential drawback is the high cost of materials and manufacturing processes involved in creating photonic devices. Additionally, there may be compatibility issues with existing electronic systems and a lack of standardization in the industry, making it challenging to implement photonic technologies on a large scale.

4. How does optical engineering impact everyday life?

Optical engineering has a significant impact on our daily lives, as it is involved in the design and development of various technologies such as cameras, telescopes, and fiber optic communication systems. It also plays a crucial role in healthcare, with applications in medical imaging and laser surgeries.

5. What are some potential future advancements in photonic and optical engineering?

Some exciting possibilities for the future of photonic and optical engineering include the development of more efficient and cost-effective photonic devices, the integration of photonic and electronic technologies, and the use of photonics in quantum computing. There is also ongoing research into using photonic devices for renewable energy generation and advanced medical treatments.