Prove that a function is surjective

In summary, the function f: PosZ → PosZ is defined as the largest integer that divides z but is distinct from z. The proof that f is surjective is that for every n > 1, n = f(z) for some z. This can be shown by considering that the only possible divisor of 2n greater than n is 1, and since 1 is an integer, we can conclude that n = f(2n). Therefore, f is surjective.
bassflow

Homework Statement

Let PosZ = {z ∈ Z : z > 0}. Consider the function f : PosZ → PosZ dened as follows:
• f(1) = 1
• If z ∈ PosZ and z > 1 then f(z) is the largest integer that divides z but is distinct from z. (For
example f(41) = 1 and f(36) = 18.)
Prove that f is surjective.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to try and show that for every n > 1, n= f(z) for some z. So note that for all n > 1, n = f(2n). But don't know if that makes sense or how to do that. And in the case of f(41) = 1, it's not true...

Physics news on Phys.org
bassflow said:

Homework Statement

Let PosZ = {z ∈ Z : z > 0}. Consider the function f : PosZ → PosZ dened as follows:
• f(1) = 1
• If z ∈ PosZ and z > 1 then f(z) is the largest integer that divides z but is distinct from z. (For
example f(41) = 1 and f(36) = 18.)
Prove that f is surjective.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to try and show that for every n > 1, n= f(z) for some z. So note that for all n > 1, n = f(2n). But don't know if that makes sense or how to do that. And in the case of f(41) = 1, it's not true...

But f(2*41)=41. How does f(41)=1 make f(2n)=n not true? f(2*2)=2, f(2*3)=3, f(2*4)=4, etc. Looks pretty surjective to me. How would you prove f(2n)=n?

Ok, yea that's right.

Is n = f(2n) because of the function definition that it outpours the largest distinct divisibe integer?

bassflow said:
Ok, yea that's right.

Is n = f(2n) because of the function definition that it outpours the largest distinct divisibe integer?

Is "outpours" a metaphor, or a translation? Either way I don't think that's a proof. An integer d divides 2n if 2n/d is an integer. If d=n then then 2n/d=2. Suppose there were a larger value d'>n such that 2n/d' is an integer. How does 2n/d' relate to 2? Is it greater than or less than?

Sorry I meant outputs, autocorrect on my phone is silly.

2n/d' would be less than 2. But it can only be 1 if it's an integer in which case d' = 2n anyway. I don't see yet how this advanced the proof though.

bassflow said:
Sorry I meant outputs, autocorrect on my phone is silly.

2n/d' would be less than 2. But it can only be 1 if it's an integer in which case d' = 2n anyway. I don't see yet how this advanced the proof though.

Well, "outpours" was kind of poetic. But, it's not only advanced the proof, it finished it. So if d' is a divisor of 2n greater than n, then 2n/d' is an integer less than 2. Which means the only possibility is 1, just as you said. So there are no divisors of 2n between n and 2n. Doesn't that finish it?

Last edited:

Related to Prove that a function is surjective

1. What does it mean for a function to be surjective?

Surjectivity is a property of a function in which every element in the output range has at least one corresponding element in the input domain.

2. How can I prove that a function is surjective?

To prove that a function is surjective, you must show that for every element in the output range, there exists at least one element in the input domain that maps to it. This can be done through various methods such as using the definition of surjectivity or using a proof by contradiction.

3. Can a function be both surjective and injective?

Yes, a function can be both surjective and injective. This type of function is called a bijective function and it means that every element in the output range has a unique corresponding element in the input domain.

4. What is the difference between a surjective function and an onto function?

There is no difference between a surjective function and an onto function. These terms are used interchangeably to describe a function that is surjective, meaning it maps every element in the output range to at least one element in the input domain.

5. Can a function be surjective if its output range is smaller than its input domain?

Yes, a function can be surjective even if its output range is smaller than its input domain. This means that there may be multiple elements in the input domain that map to the same element in the output range.