Prove that alpha = aleph_alpha where

• Thread starter wj2cho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alpha
In summary, the conversation discusses defining a sequence alpha_0 = 0, alpha_n+1 = aleph_alpha_n, and determining the supremum of this sequence, denoted by alpha. The goal is to prove that alpha is equal to aleph_alpha. The speaker has been attempting to prove this by showing that the supremum is both <= and >= aleph_alpha, but is struggling to find an appropriate approach. They suggest looking at fixed points of the aleph sequence for inspiration.
wj2cho
Define alpha_0 = 0, alpha_n+1 = aleph_alpha_n. Let alpha = sup{alpha_n : n is a natural number). Prove that alpha = aleph_alpha.

My attempt: As alpha <= aleph_alpha is obvious, I've been trying to prove the other direction of inequality, so that being both <= and >= implies =, but now I'm not even sure if this is the right approach. I think I cannot use (transfinite) induction because this isn't a statement about n, so I've been stuck with
sup{alpha_n : n is a natural number) >= sup{aleph_beta : beta < alpha}
where the RHS is just the definition of a cardinal aleph_gamma where gamma is a limit ordinal. Maybe I can find an injection from the RHS to the LHS but it doesn't seem to work either. Any help will be appreciated.

wj2cho, this may come a bit late (a month after you posted it), but if you are still interested: your definitions seems to be the cardinal equivalent to epsilon-0 ε0. (You can read about epsilon numbers at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epsilon_numbers_(mathematics).) Of course, you are referring to cardinals, but then we get into the difficulty that the alephs are not subscripted by cardinals, but rather ordinals. Therefore your definition needs to be cleaned up a little. Once it is, then you will want to look at fixed points. Google "fixed points of aleph sequence" for inspiration on how to find the fixed points of your alpha sequence.

Related to Prove that alpha = aleph_alpha where

What is alpha and aleph_alpha?

Alpha is a term used in mathematics to represent the first letter of the Greek alphabet and is often used as a variable. Aleph_alpha is a symbol used in set theory to represent the cardinality or size of an infinite set.

What does it mean to prove that alpha = aleph_alpha?

Proving that alpha = aleph_alpha means showing that the cardinality of an infinite set, represented by aleph_alpha, is the same as the size of a set represented by alpha. In other words, the two symbols represent the same concept or value.

How is the equality of alpha and aleph_alpha proven?

The equality of alpha and aleph_alpha is proven using mathematical techniques, such as bijections or one-to-one correspondences, which show that there is a one-to-one mapping between the elements of the two sets. This means that each element in one set can be paired with a unique element in the other set, and vice versa.

Why is proving that alpha = aleph_alpha important?

Proving that alpha = aleph_alpha is important because it helps us understand and compare the sizes of infinite sets. It also has applications in various fields of mathematics, such as topology and analysis.

Are there any other symbols used to represent the size of infinite sets?

Yes, apart from aleph_alpha, there are other symbols used to represent the size of infinite sets, such as beth and c, which are used for different types of infinite sets. Each symbol has its own mathematical definition and properties.