Prove the following dilogarithmic value

• MHB
  • Thread starter alyafey22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary: C\text{Li}_{2}(x) = -\log(1-x) \log(x) - \text{Li}_2 (1-x) +C\text{Li}_{2}(x) =-\log(1-x) \log(x)+\zeta(2) In summary, the functional equation is \text{Li}_2(x)+\text{Li}_{2}(1-x) = \frac{\pi^2}{6}-\ln(x)\cdot \ln(1-x) where $x$ approaches 0. The proof is provided by showing that
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
\(\displaystyle \text{Li}_{2}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right) = \frac{\pi^2}{12} - \frac{1}{2} \log^2 (2) \)

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the following functional equation :

\(\displaystyle \text{Li}_2(x)+\text{Li}_{2}(1-x) = \frac{\pi^2}{6}- \ln(x)\cdot \ln(1-x) \)

Substituting x = 1/2 gives us the result , does anybody know how to prove this functional equation ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
I found the following functional equation :

\(\displaystyle \text{Li}_2(x)+\text{Li}_{2}(1-x) = \frac{\pi^2}{6}- \ln(x)\cdot \ln(1-x) \)

Substituting x = 1/2 gives us the result , does anybody know how to prove this functional equation ?

if we let \(\displaystyle \text { Li }_2{(x)}=- \int ^ { x}_0\frac {\log (1- u ) } {u} \, du\)

Then if we differentiated the functional equation we get the result . But that still unsatisfactory.(Tauri)

ZaidAlyafey said:
But that still unsatisfactory

I don't see what's unsatisfactory to you. Galactus' derivation is perfectly logical and satisfactory as it occurs to me. If you want another proof, then you might be interested in a proof of Abel's identity which is a further generalization of the reflection formula.

Last edited:
mathbalarka said:
I don't see what's unsatisfactory to you. Galactus' derivation is perfectly logical and satisfactory as it occurs to me. If you want another proof, then you might be interested in a proof of Abel's identity which is a further generalization of the reflection formula.

Actually it is , but I posted this before seeing the derivation. Here is a link

ZaidAlyafey said:
Actually it is , but I posted this before seeing the derivation...

The link given above seems to be to a post that was deleted by the OP.

Last edited:
MarkFL said:
The link given above seem to be to a post that was deleted by the OP.

scroll down it is not the first post .

You can set your link to take you to to the post you mean...

Is this it?

clickety-click

Ok , here is the full proof

\(\displaystyle \text{Li}_{2}(x) =-\int^{x}_0 \frac{\log (1-u)}{u}\,du\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left(\text{Li}_{2}(x)\right) =-\frac{\log (1-x)}{x}\)

Integrating by parts

\(\displaystyle \text{Li}_{2}(x) = -\log(1-x) \log(x) +\int^{1-x}_0 \frac{\log(1-u)}{u}du+ C\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Li}_{2}(x) = -\log(1-x) \log(x) - \text{Li}_2 (1-x) +C\)

Letting $x$ approaches 0 we get :

\(\displaystyle C=\text{Li}_2 (1)= \zeta(2) = \frac{\pi^2}{6}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Li}_{2}(x) + \text{Li}_2 (1-x) = \frac{\pi^2}{6}-\log(1-x) \log(x) \)

Related to Prove the following dilogarithmic value

1. What is a dilogarithmic value?

A dilogarithmic value, also known as the Spence's function, is a special mathematical function that is used to evaluate the integral of the logarithmic function.

2. How is a dilogarithmic value expressed?

A dilogarithmic value is typically expressed as Li2(x), where x is the input value.

3. What is the significance of proving a dilogarithmic value?

Proving a dilogarithmic value is important in mathematics as it helps to establish the validity of certain mathematical theories and equations. It also allows for more accurate calculations and predictions in various fields, such as physics and engineering.

4. How is a dilogarithmic value proven?

The proof of a dilogarithmic value involves using various mathematical techniques and identities, such as the Euler-Maclaurin formula and the Cauchy residue theorem.

5. What are some real-world applications of dilogarithmic values?

Dilogarithmic values have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in the calculation of complex integrals and in the study of certain physical phenomena, such as heat transfer and fluid dynamics. They also have applications in fields such as cryptography and signal processing.