Prove the irrationality of ar+s or ar-s using proof by contradiction

But we know that a non-zero rational number plus an irrational number is irrational (proved in class). So, if ar+s is rational, then ar+(ar+s) or ar-(ar-s) is irrational, which contradicts our assumption that both ar+s and ar-s are rational. Therefore, our initial statement must be true: if s is a real number, then either ar+s or ar-s is irrational.In summary, in order to prove the statement "if s is a real number, then either ar+s or ar-s is irrational" by contradiction, we assume its negation and show that it leads to a contradiction. By using DeMorgan's Law and the property that a non-zero rational number plus an irrational number is irrational
INdeWATERS
Use proof by contradiction to prove the following: Let a be an irrational number and r a nonzero rational number. Prove that if s is a real number, then either ar+s or ar-s is irrational.

I am stuck with this proof. Here's what I have so far,

Proof Suppose, by way of contradiction, that this is not true. Then there exists a real number s such that it is not the case that ar+s or ar-s is irrational. By DeMorgan's Law we have ar+s and ar-s are both irrational. So choose s such that...??

(a) I have proved in class that an irrational number times a nonzero rational number (ar) is irrational, so no need to include that proof in the proof.
(b) Do I need to choose an s so that ar+s or ar-s is irrational? Would it suffice to let s be a rational number?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The contradiction of "either ar+s or ar-s is irrational" is "both ar+s and ar-s are rational". Try it from there.

Dick said:
The contradiction of "either ar+s or ar-s is irrational" is "both ar+s and ar-s are rational". Try it from there.

Proof: Suppose, by way of contradiction, that this is not true. Then there exists a real number s such that both ar+s and ar-s are rational.

I still don't see how to derive a contradiction. What should I choose s to be?

Thanks for you help!

INdeWATERS said:
Proof: Suppose, by way of contradiction, that this is not true. Then there exists a real number s such that both ar+s and ar-s are rational.

I still don't see how to derive a contradiction. What should I choose s to be?

Thanks for you help!

You don't have to choose s to to be anything in particular. If ar+s and ar-s are rational, then their sum is rational, isn't it?

Related to Prove the irrationality of ar+s or ar-s using proof by contradiction

What is the definition of proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction is a method of mathematical proof that involves assuming the opposite of what you are trying to prove and then showing that this assumption leads to a contradiction, thereby proving the original statement to be true.

How can proof by contradiction be used to prove the irrationality of ar+s or ar-s?

To prove the irrationality of ar+s or ar-s, we can assume that the expression is rational and then show that this assumption leads to a contradiction.

What is the general structure of a proof by contradiction?

The general structure of a proof by contradiction includes three steps: assume the opposite of what you are trying to prove, follow logical steps to reach a contradiction, and then conclude that the original statement must be true.

Why is proof by contradiction a powerful method of proof?

Proof by contradiction is a powerful method of proof because it allows us to prove a statement by showing that its opposite leads to a contradiction. This eliminates the need for a direct proof, which can often be more complex or difficult to find.

What are some other applications of proof by contradiction in mathematics?

Proof by contradiction can be used in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, geometry, and analysis. It is often used to prove the existence of irrational numbers, the uniqueness of solutions to equations, and the convergence of infinite series.